English comprehension today (24th)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

It feels so strange - my daughter has moved on and isn't even thinking about yesterday. I can't seem to get it out of my head (it's been there for so long!) I really need to focus on xmas shopping instead.

The fact that my daughter found the VR ok scares me - everyone else seemed to find it difficult - did she fall into the "obvious" traps? Also, I know she has got a couple of the maths questions wrong from things she has said. Did anyone elses child struggle with the last maths question? Once I explained it to her she got it straight away. Maybe my home tutoring was not enough? :?

Post by Guest »

My DD said that the English was easy (lets hope so!) maths ok and VR harder than she expected - codes were difficult and she ran out of time. Her friends have all said the same. As for the maths question - none of us can work it out - so we have no idea, it seems to have foxed all her friends and their parents. Is it us??!!

Post by Guest »

The maths question was the first thing my daughter asked me when we were in the car. She also said lots of codes in VR but thought she'd managed to work out correctly. She said she only just made it through the 80 questions and had to guess some. She also said English was ok.

Post by Guest »

My daughter also found the VR tough going and had to guess a few as she was running out of time. In practise papers she was consistently above 90% so I think both she and I were a bit surprised she found it difficult on the day. She found the maths fairly straightforward (it is definitely her strongest area) but hasn't mentioned the last question at all - not sure if that's good or bad!! She said the English was OK.

To be honest, with her having to guess a few VR questions, I suspect she may well not have done well enough to get in. However, she said to me that half way though the VR paper she was panicking about how much she still had to do in a short amount of time and then she told herself to get a grip and set to working out the others as quickly as she could. I am SO proud of her for showing such steely determination and I think it will stand her in good stead wherever she goes.

Post by Guest »

I'm sure that a lot of children had to guess some VR questions, I know mine did. If you look at last years results post, you'll see that lots of children gained Grammar places with average scores of 75%. It all depends on how hard the papers were. Last years English was so hard that 40/50 was an excellent score. This years paper was deemed to be easier so it may be that they'll need to score in the 40s to suceed. It's so frustrating!
I'm just happy that my child feels they did their best and if that was good enough for a place then fantastic, if not, she'll go on to do her best at the local comp (and we won't have to get up so early!) :lol:
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Anonymous wrote:It feels so strange - my daughter has moved on and isn't even thinking about yesterday. I can't seem to get it out of my head (it's been there for so long!) I really need to focus on xmas shopping instead.

The fact that my daughter found the VR ok scares me - everyone else seemed to find it difficult - did she fall into the "obvious" traps? Also, I know she has got a couple of the maths questions wrong from things she has said. Did anyone elses child struggle with the last maths question? Once I explained it to her she got it straight away. Maybe my home tutoring was not enough? :?
I talked to my son about the last Maths question and I know he has got it wrong as well based on the information he has given. But overall, he felt that the Maths paper is less tricky this year than last year.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Are we allowed to know what the English paper was yet? My son is keen to find out. His friend took the test this year and can't remember what it was!

K

Post by Guest »

Am I mistaken? I thought that the test being taken on 5th December would be a different paper. It can't possibly be the same one? I am desperate to know the answer to the last maths question. I don't even understand the question!

Post by Guest »

Thats strange. Patricia had posted a message re pm'ing the text. I replied to it and i has disappeared! so...... are we allowed or not to discuss the english text and last maths question on the public forum?
chad

Post by chad »

Hi guest

Unfortunately some LEA's do use the same paper for the late tests :( . Essex is not my area so I cannot say whether your local LEA does or not. In the absence of any certainty it is best not to discuss the finer points of the test until after the last sitting. Frustrating I know. :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now