CCHS - Previous Test Papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pinkrabbit38

Re: CCHS - Previous Test Papers

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

htm wrote:CCHS Head's comment on "over-tutored" vs innately good students is still valid; although extending that to trump up CEM is stretching it too far.

May be, the point is that CEM doesn't require long-term coaching and tutoring to get better at. Good students will pick the ropes quickly and can ace it without significantly long tutoring period. If that's what she driving at, then may be CEM fits the school's bill.

Purely going by this year's reported scores in this forum, I have noticed that there was a strong correspondence between scores at CSSE (Consortium's test) and CEM (for those who took both). Those who did well at CEM also did equally well at CSSE. So each test format was equally effective, so to say.

Case in point being my daughter, who successfully took both exams with minimal format "specific" preparation. I didn't give her any CEM format test until end of August and CSSE tests until a week before the test. All preparation up to that point was very general (that is not to say that she hadn't started preparing at all until August).
I know many children who got into CCHS this year (current year 7) who would not have got into the school with their CSSE score, remember this forum is only a small snapshot of the results overall.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am not twisting your words at all. You quoted the Head as saying the girls in Y7 and Y8 "are completely different types of girls to the former girls who were over tutored"

"She says the girls are more confident and are achieving better results because they are children who are naturally intelligent and haven't been tutored since year 2"

The head at CCHS has stated that the girls who have got into the school over the last two years since introducing the CEM are completely different types of girls to the former girls who were over tutored. She says that the girls are more confident and are achieving better results because they are children who are naturally intelligent and haven't been tutored since year 2 such as happens in many private schools.[/quote]

So is she not saying that Y7 and Y8 girls are naturally intelligent and Y9 to Y13 are over tutored and that is all down to CEM? DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pinkrabbit38 wrote: I know many children who got into CCHS this year (current year 7) who would not have got into the school with their CSSE score, remember this forum is only a small snapshot of the results overall.
Of course, the current year 7 were the first cohort to sit the revised CSSE exam, which muddies the water a bit.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

I don't remember the head at CCHS saying that the girls who got in via CEM were better than the ones who sat the CSSE exam, just that they were a noticeably different cohort and that the school felt justified in having changed to CEM.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

MmeOgg wrote:I don't remember the head at CCHS saying that the girls who got in via CEM were better than the ones who sat the CSSE exam, just that they were a noticeably different cohort and that the school felt justified in having changed to CEM.
I didn't say better I said different.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now