Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:44 pm 

Does anyone with a son at SHSB know what a yr 7 home consultation is please? It's on the school calender for March but I'm intrigued as to what it may be? Thanks x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:20 pm 

missymoo1972 wrote:
Does anyone with a son at SHSB know what a yr 7 home consultation is please? It's on the school calender for March but I'm intrigued as to what it may be? Thanks x

DS2 is in year 8 (so year 7 last year) and DS1 was at the school until a couple of years ago, and I have no idea! I can't imagine that it means that someone comes out to see you at home - they would be hard pushed to get round to all the OOC families in one day, let alone all 180 boys and anyway, why would they? I am also intrigued...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:42 pm 

Maybe it is a new name for Parents Evening ?

Used to be called an "at home" when I was at school.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:22 pm 

I think you might be onto something there Herman - I seem to remember the same (I think). A consultation with "home" just in case the parents aren't the child's carers - inclusivity.

I'm intrigued to know.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 pm 

Year 7 parents' evening was last term.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:53 pm 

Well I'm flummoxed then....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:37 pm 

It's where the teachers may ring you at home or email you if they have particular concerns. It's usually a set time on a set day so that you know to be in then or if you don't receive a call or email at that time then everything is ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:11 pm 

pinkrabbit38 wrote:
It's where the teachers may ring you at home or email you if they have particular concerns. It's usually a set time on a set day so that you know to be in then or if you don't receive a call or email at that time then everything is ok.

I assume that is something new this year, then? Definitely didn't have that arrangement for either of ours. Do parents set the time, or the school?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:47 am 

ToadMum wrote:
pinkrabbit38 wrote:

I assume that is something new this year, then? Definitely didn't have that arrangement for either of ours. Do parents set the time, or the school?

It happened last year too Toadmum. The school sent out a letter saying that you may get a call between 4pm and 5pm on a certain date (same date and time for everyone). I remember feeling nervous throughout the whole hour but thankfully we didn't get a call! We did however get an email praising his improvement in languages and pointers for helping him further.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:53 am 

I think it is mildly ridiculous, I'm afraid. If there is a problem, the teachers should not be waiting for a set time/day to be informing parents; they should be all over it, discussing it with the parents as it comes up - hanging around waiting till March just delays dealing with the problem. In the same way that there should be no surprises at Parents Evenings - any issues should have been identified already so that parents and teachers can form their Parents Evening discussion around any improvements/what more needs to be done etc.