Secondary allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Essex Girl

compound words

Post by Essex Girl »

Another idea is to say the word in your head, adding various things after or before. For example, ter, sher, mer, etc. Sounds odd, I know, but In this way, sometimes the word just comes to you. If this is done in a slightly "slurred" manner, rather than emphasising the sounds, this makes it easier for suggestions to come through.

VR score required varies because children vary and paper varies. It is almost impossible to say what mark is required. The suggestion is that 85% acros the board makes County High or Colchester, etc but Southend schools require a lower score. However, you can score 90% on VR and only 50% on English and be way off some years and get into a grammar in other years. Sometimes the maths scores are amazingly low and sometimes very high, again it depends on children and papers.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi Essex Girl

Just recieved prospectus for St Martins (old) and am impressed, will be going to open day in October, they also told me that the test will be on Dec 3rd. Haven't even looked at NVR yet thought we should get to grips with VR first, still doing ok, about 70 out of 80 on Bond book 4 aim is to get these to be automatic and get her to check the answers, tends to sit doing nothing for the last 15 mins, once she's made up her mind she can't do it she just hits a brick wall, thought we'd do 1 paper every 2 weeks and hopefully this way we will not run out of papers or get bored/fed-up. What are the major differences between Bond and Nfer Nelson, why is Nfer Nelson more suitable. Dragged out double quick game we got for Christmas (short scrabble type thing) against the clock and she reallly likes it, has element of luck depending on what tiles you draw so she does have a chance of winning, makes us laugh too!
Essex Girl

Response to Boo

Post by Essex Girl »

Hi Boo,

Did St. Martin's not send you a copy of their new prospectus? I know the one for 2006 entry is on the web site. Anway, I don't think there is a huge difference between Bond and Nfer Nelson it is just that Nfer Nelson are the publishers of the real papers. The company don't mark them though. The consortium do it themselves. I think the Bond papers do contain some elements which haven't come up on the Essex tests but, having said that, the more practice the brain gets of any type of VR problem solving, the better. Your daughter does seem to be doing well on the Vr.

Another thing to consider, when looking at schools, is whether your daughter is likely to want to attend after school activities and any difficulties there may be associated with this. It may sound an obvious thing to think about but some children tend to want to join in quite a variety of things and others are content to join lunchtime activities and possibly have other interests outside schools. Many schools are not on good routes for really good public transport and getting hom (on the dark winter nights) can be a problem if you are working and unable to collect, etc.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi Essex girl, new prospectus not out yet, will send one in due course. Good point about after school clubs, but main concern is what is realistic and where would she prefer to go, said before she didn't like Westcliff but may have changed her mind by the time we get to put schools down, wonder that she may just not have what it takes to thrive a CCHSG or even get enough marks to be honest as everyone says they just take the very very brightest so unsure as to whether to even put it down, I'm sure everyone has this problem and faced with the prospect of no certain place at local school am even more confused. Have to say she is doing the VR papers with no pressure, doesn't see it as a big thing, perhaps she will nearer the time but having no siblings who have gone through the process she is very unaware (a good thing?)
Essex Girl

Response to Boo

Post by Essex Girl »

Yes, I think it is a good thing when there are no siblings to compare with. In our case, our third child had two siblings who had "passed" so it was hard. In the event, child three didn't get a place. Managed to do the usual "Essex" thing. Got enough marks to come above the pass mark but not enough for a place. One gutted little girl! Anyway, she's very happy now and it has mostly been forgotten but still think it would have been easier for her if no comparisons were to be made.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now