2018 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pushymother

Re: 2018 Entry

Post by pushymother »

Hello all,

We have a DS in year 4. We are going to start preparation in the autumn. DS is a complete different kettle of fish compared to DD who is in Y7 at Westcliff.

He is top of the pile in everything (September birthday) and his state primary is doing an excellent job in extending him in Maths and English.

We don't want to take anything for granted so will do extra tuition and mocks with him. We both work fulltime and don't enjoy tutoring our offspring so will farm out the work :lol:
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

Hello my ds will hopefully be taking 11+ for 2018 entry too. Going to probably mainly diy it - I did with my daughter who is in yr8 at ColCHS (passed a year early as well). Ds is completely different though as suffers from anxiety and dyslexia so not sure how we'll get on, but he is determined to have a go!
Tigermama72

Post by Tigermama72 »

My DS is going to be in Yr5 this Sep and plans to sit the exams in 2017. We plan to do group tuition for him and some mocks. So far he has been practising with the Bond and Schofield & Sims practice books for a year, he does them daily now more so than before. I don't know if an hour at home every day is good enough hence considering group tuition. So far his weakest area is creative writing. Any advice on how to boost this please? If anyone knows or can recommend (through PM) a good creative writing tutor in Chelmsford, that would be great. Thanks.
Jojo76

Post by Jojo76 »

How do you motivate your child to do an hour a day everyday at the beginning of year 5?

Do you do a bond paper for an hr in this time or do you mean reading as well.

Hard to know how much to do daily with mine especially with normal school work and piano/ play / normal life getting in the way!

Any tips would be appreciated....
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

An hour a day is a lot. My Ds did an hour a wk group tuition throughout yr 5 and I did some extra work over the summer before he took the test. An hour a day for a whole year seems an awful lot personally.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SlighlyStressedMum wrote:An hour a day is a lot. My Ds did an hour a wk group tuition throughout yr 5 and I did some extra work over the summer before he took the test. An hour a day for a whole year seems an awful lot personally.
Not that it ever occurred to us even to consider such a thing as trying to add an hour's cramming to each and every day, but if it had, I hope that we would have taken a step back and asked ourselves why we thought that the child needed to do so much in the attempt to demonstrate that a grammar school would be the best choice for them? Or has he missed a lot of school through illness, which needs to be made up?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

I'm slightly impressed anyone could even fit that in. Some nights I find just getting my three fed a challenge. If I'd have tried to add an hours 11 plus practice a day for a whole year I'd have gone bananas myself, let alone my ds :-)
Tigermama72

Post by Tigermama72 »

It is only recently (summer holidays) that I have tried doing an hour every day with DS as I am sure in term time he will have other activities to juggle too + some free play. So once school reopens I may have to cut down.
As for motivating him to do an hour, I offer little incentives which sometimes work and sometimes don't. In that hour, I give him a choice of what he wants to do- 50:50 Eng/Maths or just English or just Maths. Sometimes he will read a few chapters of a book (he just started this couple of days ago) and we will discuss it. So basically we chop and change the routine to make it less monotonous. He is doing very well in school and is not behind.
octmum2

Post by octmum2 »

Hi 2018 Entry mums, my DS is in year5 and planning to sit for 11+ in Sept 2017. I have just brought some bond books 10-11. He seems ok with them, but gets short of time finishing the papers. I Usually time him for 30 min, which he struggles to finish in. He usually takes 35-40 mins and gets score of 39-43/50 in maths and 35-40 in English. I was just wondering what else I can do with him to increase his speed. Is there anything else I can try for him. How are your kids scores?
Thanks
Golden_Jubilee

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

My DD is preparing for Sept 2017. We are more focussed on covering the curriculum until early next year. No timed papers yet (planned for March 2017 onwards). DD has done few CGP tests without any timed condition and she finished well within time. I think the stress makes them more anxious. Also, Bond is deemed harder than CGP. That could explain why your DS taking a bit longer. You still have time for him to speed-up.

Have you tried giving him the same paper but without stating time and then see how long he takes without him knowing it?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now