2018 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsB

Re: 2018 Entry

Post by MrsB »

I would not worry about speed at this stage. I would focus on making sure he /she can complete them without feeling under pressure from the clock. With DC2 we started at Easter i.e. 6 months before with about an hour a week at weekends split over the two days, but were a bit lackadaisical about it and missed quite a few weekends until the summer holiday. In the summer holiday we made up for it with about an hour a day apart from a few days off

In terms of content we made sure she understood all the maths concepts and English and applied reasoning concepts, then when that was secure, we talked about exam techniques and finally focused on speed

for the creative writing we made sure she was careful on spelling punctuation and grammar and just encouraged her to write very short passages. We then read through them and encouraged her to think of interesting words that would be alternatives to the words she used e.g. dashed rather than ran, that type of thing. However we didn't really know if that was what was being looked for. also encouraged to make sure she read the question e.g. do they want a descriptive passage or a set of instructions - we got her to think about a list of instructions for simple tasks.

Each child is different and I think a later start suited our DD (summer born). With DC 1 we started a lot earlier but with hindsight wonder if that was more stressful as it seemed to go on for ever

We didn't use a tutor because it would have been logistically difficult and we felt we could manage. However it is hard to be patient when they make silly mistakes- much biting of tongue required.
Ashtara

Post by Ashtara »

Tigermama72 wrote:It is only recently (summer holidays) that I have tried doing an hour every day with DS as I am sure in term time he will have other activities to juggle too + some free play. So once school reopens I may have to cut down.
As for motivating him to do an hour, I offer little incentives which sometimes work and sometimes don't. In that hour, I give him a choice of what he wants to do- 50:50 Eng/Maths or just English or just Maths. Sometimes he will read a few chapters of a book (he just started this couple of days ago) and we will discuss it. So basically we chop and change the routine to make it less monotonous. He is doing very well in school and is not behind.
An hour a day? Having just gone through the whole 11 plus cycle, with my son, I have to say I am impressed that your son is keen to work that much. My DS had tutor for an hour a week and then the resulting homework. We did ramp it up over the summer holidays before he sat the exam by doing plenty of past papers but believe you me it was an incredibly stressful year for the whole family (plenty of arguments over doing homework etc...). As I type, I am sitting here considering whether I want to go through the whole process again with my DD who is in year 5 now. The thought of it fills me with dread.
rocky23000

Post by rocky23000 »

Hi All,

How is preparation for your DSs and DDs going on?

How about scores for their Mock exams.

We have now started working on timing as well and trying to get the balance between getting answers right and completing the tests.

Which mock tests are your kids going for - s6 / Ilford parents club / Chelmsford Parents club / ********** / Masterbrain? Any suggestions on which ones are the best, which ones the most difficult. We are doing some s6 and **********.

Fingers crossed, hope all kids get into their chosen school - it is quite a bit of prep they go through.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now