WHSB - super organised!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mags18

Re: WHSB - super organised!

Post by mags18 »

Good to know more about Olympiad and looking forward for that.

I notice that Summer School expects to pay £75 . Is this again part of fund raising effort and does anyone knows if its a norm for other schools to have similar event ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mags18 wrote:Good to know more about Olympiad and looking forward for that.

I notice that Summer School expects to pay £75 . Is this again part of fund raising effort and does anyone knows if its a norm for other schools to have similar event ?
Some of the local comprehensive schools have (and possibly still do) run summer schools for incoming year 7s, but certainly at the one DD attended in 2012, it was free but the funding was only meant to cover 'disadvantaged' children. The school very kindly cent the rules a bit to include DD (I did check that they weren't denying another genuinely needy child a place before we accepted :) ); we are hardly 'disadvantaged' in the economic sense, but the school had not been on her CAF and she was the only pupil from our primary making the trek across town to it.

The SHSB summer school is something different, just a chance for boys to have a bit of an extra 'getting to know you' in advance of tho new term, I think (and I assume that yes, it does make a bit of money for the school) In DS1's time - 8 years ago - it cost £45 and was a specifically Language College event - unfortunately cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances that year - but more recently has been more general / sport based. DS2 didn't go, although might have done if the other boy from his primary hadn't had a family holiday booked, but then like his siblings before him, he wasn't particularly worried about 'moving up'.

I don't know whether you can pay for the summer school with childcare vouchers; I can't remember any mention of this from DS2's time and it wouldn't have been relevant for us for DS1.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mags18

Post by mags18 »

Thanks for the information ToadMum. Summer School does seems like a good idea.
Moomin2015

Post by Moomin2015 »

Thank you for the information. Enrolled ds onto Summer School, he's looking forward to it although seems a long way off still.
mags18

Post by mags18 »

Enrolled DS to Summer School as well .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now