Do you currently have a DS studying at CRGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ipswich-mum

Do you currently have a DS studying at CRGS?

Post by Ipswich-mum »

It is only two weeks to find out whether our son will have a place at CRGS (his score was 339.62) We live in Ipswich & also applied for two of the local indies and been offered a very good Academic Scholarship from both schools.
If he gets a place at CRGS we are hoping to move back to Colchester to avoid 45min journey time. Although we have visited CRGS and my son seemed to liked it - we don't actually know how's the daily school life for children at CRGS? Are they happy, given too much homework, constant pressure to do well, pastoral care...etc? DS is very academic - I m sure he ll do well but at the same time we would like him to enjoy his school life as well
KB

Re: Do you currently have a DS studying at CRGS?

Post by KB »

There is a small coach from Ipswich specifically for GS pupils so maybe it's worth letting him try that before you make the move, if you do decide its the right school?

There aren't huge differences between The Ipswich School and CRGS ( except that there are girls at the former!)

There is less sport during the school day at CRGS in the early years but plenty of opportunity to extend that after school and Saturdays. Rugby is the main thing at CRGS v hockey at Ipswich.

There are plenty of opportunities for music & singing at both. For 'elite' singing and music then Ipswich probably has it but CRGS has a handful of top notch musicians each year.

Being an Indie, The Ipswich School does have better facilities - theatre, indoor pool more pitches etc but not to an extent where activities at CRGS really suffer.

There are probably more opportunities for 'exotic' school trips at Ipswich but still a good range of destinations and content at CRGS.

Academically there is always a group at the top of The Ipswich School who would compete with the best of CRGS. Not surprisingly given the intake, the main difference is the depth of academic strength at CRGS. It is easier for a very bright student to coast at Ipswich and there will probably only be a handful of pupils in a class to really push them. But that works both ways. If a pupil lacks confidence then they may feel better about themselves by being 'higher up' the class at Ipswich. There are high academic expectations at CRGS but staff don't apply pressure beyond ability. The speed at which subject matter is covered is probably higher at CRGS due to not having such an ability range in the class. So possibly at Ipswich you would need to be more self motivated, although many do excel.

Homework wise I don't think there is a significant difference.

Actually the ethos at both schools is pretty similar. A caring environment where hardwork and community spirit are valued alongside success.

Chapel is part of school life at Ipswich. CRGS is less 'overtly' Christian in daily worship etc.

CRGS doesn't have Matron so lacks that aspect of care. It is a very good state school but is still that so resources aren't ever going to compare with a fee-paying school. The staff-pupil relationship at CRGS is generally pretty good with somer outstading and staff will always respond to parental concerns promptly.

If your DS is very academic I would be pretty sure that he would thrive at either school ( I don't have recent knowledge of the other Ipswich indie) so maybe it's down to where the whole family is better located and the financial implications? If I didn't want to move for other reasons then I'm not sure the difference in schools would warrant it if a good scholarship means that school fees v moving costs
is fairly balanced.
Ipswich-mum

Post by Ipswich-mum »

Many thanks for your reply KB

We have received an offer from CRGS and we have declined the offer today.

DS will be going to Woodbridge School in September (only 5min drive from our house) Although Ipswich is only 30min - 45min away from Colchester - school bus takes 1hr 40min (with 20 stops each way)
KB

Post by KB »

Yes, that's a very long journey! It will be lovely for your DS to be so close. Be prepared for your house to be a social hub :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now