discounttravel by c2c for from upminster/barking to southend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MmeOgg

Re: discounttravel by c2c for from upminster/barking to sout

Post by MmeOgg »

We looked at the Student Season Ticket scheme and have calculated that for DD, while she is in Y7 and not using the trains on her own during the holidays, it is cheaper for us to use the normal season tickets. This is because, for periods of over a month, we can buy a "monthly" ticket which actually starts on the first day of a half term and runs to the last day of the half term - so we aren't paying for tickets to cover holidays.

I think we will move over to the Student Season Ticket scheme once she is looking to travel more independently in the holidays.
tian

Post by tian »

MmeOgg wrote:We looked at the Student Season Ticket scheme and have calculated that for DD, while she is in Y7 and not using the trains on her own during the holidays, it is cheaper for us to use the normal season tickets. This is because, for periods of over a month, we can buy a "monthly" ticket which actually starts on the first day of a half term and runs to the last day of the half term - so we aren't paying for tickets to cover holidays.

I think we will move over to the Student Season Ticket scheme once she is looking to travel more independently in the holidays.
Hi MmeOgg,
I thought the same thing too. He will have monthly one because I know he doesn't use during half term. They start on the 6th sept and for 1 month goes on until 5 Oct. At this point they usually have half term last week of Oct which would be another 3 weeks and in this case I would do weekly until half term. And after half term start back monthly. This is what I am planning. Once we have new academic calendar for 2016/17 can be planned even better.
Zeezeemum

Post by Zeezeemum »

My DD travels from Chadwell Heath to Chelmsford and I buy daily return tickets in advance costing £6.05 per day = weekly £30.25
This is more cost effective as we don't pay for the days she doesn't travel and that includes inset days, weekends and school holidays.
She is in year 10 at the moment but intend to use the scholars ticket once she starts sixth form as that would be so much cheaper than
paying an adult fare.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

We are three stops from Southend East so the Scholars tickets are way more that cost effective, even in the weeks in termtime when DD mainly gets a lift to school so only five single journeys, as she uses hers to go into town at the weekend and in the holidays. I appreciate that being so far from Southend, your DC would probably want to catch up more with 'home ' friends outside of school :)

Zeezeemum, if your DD turns sixteen before (or even early in) the summer term, you might want to think about switching sooner, as the normal adult fares start as soon as she becomes sixteen?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tian

Post by tian »

Hi everyone,
I've just found out the new academic calendar for 2016/17 but it doesn't let me attach the doc in pdf format.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tian wrote:Hi everyone,
I've just found out the new academic calendar for 2016/17 but it doesn't let me attach the doc in pdf format.
Easier just to link to the website - this should open the page with the link to the .pdf, but in case not, it's 'Information for You - Term Dates'.

http://www.shsb.org.uk/page/?title=Term+Dates&pid=29
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tian

Post by tian »

ToadMum wrote:
tian wrote:Hi everyone,
Easier just to link to the website - this should open the page with the link to the .pdf, but in case not, it's 'Information for You - Term Dates'.

http://www.shsb.org.uk/page/?title=Term+Dates&pid=29
Hi Toadmum,
yes, that's right I didn't think I could put the link of pdf. I apologise, I didn't think straight
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now