KEGS transport - within Chelmsford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
veryhopefulmum

KEGS transport - within Chelmsford

Post by veryhopefulmum »

Hi, My son has been fortunate enough to be offered a place at KEGS so now need to deal with the practicalities!

Does anyone know if there are any school bus options from the Chelmer Village/Chancellor Park area of Chelmsford?

Thanks
Proudmumregardless

Re: KEGS transport - within Chelmsford

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Get the local bus to the station and walk. It's not far and the girls and boys all walk together

It used to be you only got funded transport if you lived over 3 miles from school.

I used to travel on the 54 from Springfield each day, they don't tend to lay on specific buses for local kids to local schools. It may have changed tho
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

There's a bus that collects from CV/CP and drops at St John Payne then outside the girl's school which my son will be getting. Details on the CSSE page.
Cryptic but are you AM? I am SK x
veryhopefulmum

Post by veryhopefulmum »

Sure am! Hello x
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Proudmumregardless wrote:Get the local bus to the station and walk. It's not far and the girls and boys all walk together

It used to be you only got funded if you lived over 3 miles from school.

I used to travel on the 54 from Springfield each day, they don't tend to lay on specific buses for local kids to local schools. It may have changed tho
Would second that - if you are anywhere near the Chelmer Valley Park and ride, that runs very frequently (between 7am and about 7pm and £1 a day for under 16s if it's the same as the Sandon one) and there is a stop by the railway station, but there is probably a season ticket available for the 'normal' public routes, which will but down on you having to provide Mum's Taxi Services at the weekend :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Children's weekly ticket- £12, buy on the bus and gives you unlimited travel in the Chelmsford area for 7 days.
Children's monthly ticket - £40
(Daily return £2.80-3.20)
KM

Post by KM »

We used to live in Chelmer Village when dd started at CCHS and she got the local bus (it was the 47 then not sure if it still is now) and there were quite a few of them who got it. We did a dummy run in the summer holidays before she started - she got on the bus then ds and I jumped in the car and drove over to the Rectory Lane car park to await her arrival and make sure she got there ok. She then crossed the road and got a bus back home and we drove home! It made it slightly less daunting on her first day but as it turned out there was a lovely sixth former on the bus who helped her find her way, anyway.
veryhopefulmum

Post by veryhopefulmum »

Thank you, that's very helpful. I think that's probably what we will end up doing but may use the school bus for the first term until he gets the lay of the land!
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

I can thoroughly recommend park and ride cheap and lots of flexibility on times, also would not recommend the csse bus....we used the St John Payne bus for 3 weeks in year 7....there are very few grammar school kids on it....lets just say it was an education and not a pleasant one! It was also ridiculously expensive compared to park amd ride and local bus services. They all walk in big groups to the station to get the buses so it's quite safe and although it seems scary at first my son thought it was infinitely preferable to running the gauntlet on the csse bus.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Are there loads more SJP kids on the bus then? I had (I assume incorrectly) assumed that there would not be many and that it would be mostly Kegs/Cchs kids?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now