Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:26 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:40 am
Posts: 18
Dear all,
I have been using childcare vouchers to pay for breakfast and after school child care at my DS's primary school. I was wondering if they can be used for anything at a grammar school or if it is time to withdraw from the scheme and use any remaining money for the rest of this school year? Any input would be very helpful, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4587
Location: Essex
wegeners01 wrote:
Dear all,
I have been using childcare vouchers to pay for breakfast and after school child care at my DS's primary school. I was wondering if they can be used for anything at a grammar school or if it is time to withdraw from the scheme and use any remaining money for the rest of this school year? Any input would be very helpful, thanks.


'Breakfast clubs' at secondary school are usually 'just turn up and use the canteen / library'. Organisations providing holiday clubs may be eligible to be paid in vouchers, but it would probably be just as well to stop paying in to the scheme and spend your balance if you can rather than getting a refund, to avoid paying NI etc on your repayment.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:40 am
Posts: 18
Thank you, ToadMum. I will do that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:44 pm
Posts: 125
Would you need to use vouchers for holiday clubs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:40 am
Posts: 18
DS refuses to go to holiday clubs☺️


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4587
Location: Essex
MmeOgg wrote:
Would you need to use vouchers for holiday clubs?


You wouldn't necessarily need to, of course. Whether you are able to depends on the particular holiday scheme - is it eligible to be paid for with childcare 'vouchers' and even if it might be, does the organisation accept them? If the scheme is essentially a sports club, you probably can't use vouchers; if it's a 'care' facility provided by a local nursery / children's centre, you probably can.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:45 pm
Posts: 1488
wegeners01 wrote:
I was wondering if they can be used for anything at a grammar school or if it is time to withdraw from the scheme and use any remaining money for the rest of this school year?

We made a mistake of continuing in the scheme until the end of year 6 and now are left with few hundred pounds locked in the account which we will not be able to use, because DCs are too old/refuse to go to holiday camps and none of their after-school activities are registered with childcare vouchers providers. When I asked them why, they said it was too much admin hassle for them... You won't be able to use them for anything related to your grammar school, unless they have a 3rd party childcare provider on site, which is unlikely.

I don't know whether all childcare vouchers schemes follow exactly the same rules, but with ours, if the account is not used for 2 years (I think) all money still in the account goes to charity. There is no option of withdrawing it and paying back all tax/NI that was originally saved on the amount in question. I would only contribute to the scheme for as long as you are certain you will be able to use everything that you have in your account.

_________________
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4587
Location: Essex
PurpleDuck wrote:
wegeners01 wrote:
I was wondering if they can be used for anything at a grammar school or if it is time to withdraw from the scheme and use any remaining money for the rest of this school year?

We made a mistake of continuing in the scheme until the end of year 6 and now are left with few hundred pounds locked in the account which we will not be able to use, because DCs are too old/refuse to go to holiday camps and none of their after-school activities are registered with childcare vouchers providers. When I asked them why, they said it was too much admin hassle for them... You won't be able to use them for anything related to your grammar school, unless they have a 3rd party childcare provider on site, which is unlikely.

I don't know whether all childcare vouchers schemes follow exactly the same rules, but with ours, if the account is not used for 2 years (I think) all money still in the account goes to charity. There is no option of withdrawing it and paying back all tax/NI that was originally saved on the amount in question. I would only contribute to the scheme for as long as you are certain you will be able to use everything that you have in your account.


:shock:

Is that a new rule put in place by HMRC, or something dreamed up by your particular scheme? The one I was with just strongly recommended using all my funds on childcare (which is what I did), just saying that it was a real pain for them to administer refunds; DH was with a different scheme (Sodexo?) and was able to take the hit and just get a refund when we worked out that we were unlikely to need the funds for further childcare.

As for holiday schemes... Not a lot of choice round our way at the time. At pick-up time one evening, we were harangued by a member of staff because DS1 had shouted at another child during the evening meal. When I asked if anything could have provoked his behaviour, she freely admitted that the 'victim' had spat in DS1's food! But it was our child who was in the wrong, as he had reacted :evil:. I just managed to stop myself from suggesting that had someone spat in my dinner, never mind shouting - I would probably have slapped them.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:45 pm
Posts: 1488
ToadMum wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:
wegeners01 wrote:
I was wondering if they can be used for anything at a grammar school or if it is time to withdraw from the scheme and use any remaining money for the rest of this school year?

We made a mistake of continuing in the scheme until the end of year 6 and now are left with few hundred pounds locked in the account which we will not be able to use, because DCs are too old/refuse to go to holiday camps and none of their after-school activities are registered with childcare vouchers providers. When I asked them why, they said it was too much admin hassle for them... You won't be able to use them for anything related to your grammar school, unless they have a 3rd party childcare provider on site, which is unlikely.

I don't know whether all childcare vouchers schemes follow exactly the same rules, but with ours, if the account is not used for 2 years (I think) all money still in the account goes to charity. There is no option of withdrawing it and paying back all tax/NI that was originally saved on the amount in question. I would only contribute to the scheme for as long as you are certain you will be able to use everything that you have in your account.

:shock:

Is that a new rule put in place by HMRC, or something dreamed up by your particular scheme? The one I was with just strongly recommended using all my funds on childcare (which is what I did), just saying that it was a real pain for them to administer refunds; DH was with a different scheme (Sodexo?) and was able to take the hit and just get a refund when we worked out that we were unlikely to need the funds for further childcare.

As for holiday schemes... Not a lot of choice round our way at the time. At pick-up time one evening, we were harangued by a member of staff because DS1 had shouted at another child during the evening meal. When I asked if anything could have provoked his behaviour, she freely admitted that the 'victim' had spat in DS1's food! But it was our child who was in the wrong, as he had reacted :evil:. I just managed to stop myself from suggesting that had someone spat in my dinner, never mind shouting - I would probably have slapped them.


Gosh, ToadMum, you must be a very composed person indeed and so is you DS! I can't believe spoiling someone's dinner is OK, but shouting at the culprit is not, just typical...

Our scheme was Care4; now, that you've mentioned HMRC, I think I'm going to ring them and ask what the rules are.

Edit: No, I don't think a refund would be possible. I've done some googling and it seems to depend on the scheme provider - some allow refunds, some don't. Care-4 has a clause about unused money going to charity included in their T&C.

_________________
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Childcare vouchers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:28 pm
Posts: 13
I also use care4 and after two years no used I also worried. But end up ok by calling them . I supposed you can pay few pounds to your primary to make the account activate again., just a thought. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016