standardisation score help ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Victor

Re: standardisation score help ?

Post by Victor »

Thanks I am bit nervous my son is green two ticks for Southend O/C he is four standardised marks above the green cut off. I am just nervous the boundaries can move, but it looks like with the SB being brought in, it indicates that the paper was harder so potentially lower scores in the high end and move towards the mean.
Ashtara

Post by Ashtara »

Oh my word Chelmsfordparent, I had to read your post several times to even come close to understanding it.

You certainly know your stuff.

The crux of the matter is there are so many unknown variables that it would be impossible to be sure if the cut-offs on the guidance sheet are precise or not - hence the name 'for guidance only'.

All we can do is wait the oh so long 4 1/2 months until we finally know....
KB

Post by KB »

In the past you didn't know anything until allocation day. The idea of getting the scores ahead of time is to provide guidance on where it might be worth applying but ( not surprisingly) once the scores are released everyone wants certainty that just isn't there except for those at the extremes.
chelmsfordparent

Post by chelmsfordparent »

One more thing that might be of interest, it's possible to guess roughly where a child came in the eleven plus exam cohort from their standardised score (technical note: making assumptions about the distribution of children which are probably wrong)

As has already been said earlier a score of 300 means you get the average in both papers; probably then 50% of children were below you.

325: top 30%

350: top 14%

375: top 5%

400: Top 2%

If anyone knows roughly how many children sit the 11+ then you could infer roughly how many children are ahead of yours.
TomPoes

Post by TomPoes »

What are these 325, 350, 375, 400? I thought CSSE scores are in the 200s, eg. 240 etc.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

CSSE scores are usually in the 300's. A very very good score would be in the 400's.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now