WHSB vs SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
voyagers

WHSB vs SHSB

Post by voyagers »

My ds, having looked round both the schools, prefers WHSB. Part of me can see why. He likes order and is quite regimented in his approach to things. The science department in particular left a lasting impression upon him.
However, I have my concerns. I know the traditional rumours - WHSB is an exam factory; pastoral care and concern for the individual is lacking. Also, ds is a little on the quirky side - a little flamboyant at times perhaps.
I liked the atmos at SHSB. There was a sense of compassion and care that I didn't quite pick up from WHSB. However, when i crunch the numbers, WHSB's GCSE results are currently light years ahead of SHSB. Might just be the co-hort of course......
Does anyone have any thoughts experiences of the two schools? Any reassurances? Any concerns (perhaps best shared over pm)?
DS is, I think, quite academic.
Any advice/thoughts gratefully received!
Storygirl

Re: WHSB vs SHSB

Post by Storygirl »

Hi. My ds in current y7 at whsb. Has settled in well. It is strict re late homework and no mobiles policy, but he has often mentioned pastoral help for classmates who have needed it. Think quirky is quite liked, it's rudeness that gets punished. Sure 2 schools are very similar though friend said her ds felt shsb paid more attention to sporty boys, but that was a while ago.
voyagers

Post by voyagers »

Thanks for the info Storygirl. Very useful.
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

I have a ds in yr8 at Whsb and his brother joining him in September. The two schools are different but both great, don't let exam results sway you as they change across cohorts. My boys love the tradition, structure and values at Whsb. We have had a few problems at school and they have been dealt with well. My son gets extra support for foreign languages which really helps him.

You don't need to decide until October, so wait till nearer the time to decide. Hopefully he passes his 11+ and he then gets invited back to look around the schools again in October.

Do consider travel routes and costs to/from school too. Feel free to message me any questions.
voyagers

Post by voyagers »

Thanks for the info good3boys. May well take you up on the offer to PM!
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

I have 2 DS at WHSB - year 12 and year 9. Both are very happy and any pastoral issues we have had have been dealt with well. There is a lot of support for those having problems. Yes - they are pushed academically and boys are not allowed to 'coast'. Quirky is commonplace - there is a huge variety of personalities! We are very pleased with the school. Please ask me if you've got any particular questions.
KB

Post by KB »

I do believe that at age 10/11 it's still ultimately the parent's responsibility but if you don't have any information to go against your DS' instincts then I would go with his rather than yours.
Firstly, he will be the one spending 7 years at the school and if he feels he 'fits' it will make life a lot easier. Also, there will be tricky times and if the choice is his rather than yours he is more likely to deal with them and has less grounds to blame you!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote:I do believe that at age 10/11 it's still ultimately the parent's responsibility but if you don't have any information to go against your DS' instincts then I would go with his rather than yours.
Firstly, he will be the one spending 7 years at the school and if he feels he 'fits' it will make life a lot easier. Also, there will be tricky times and if the choice is his rather than yours he is more likely to deal with them and has less grounds to blame you!
As the mother of one who is at SHSB and loving it (but who did dither over whether to choose his elder brother's old school or WHSB) and one who started off there but rather came adrift with the school, but moved to SHSG for sixth form and was happy there, I would agree that although the choice is ultimately your responsibility, if your DS feels strongly that Westcliff would be a better 'fit' for him then go for it. Have a look at the other options when he gets to year 11, perhaps. Dynamics do change and although most students choose to stay where they are for A levels, there is quite a lot of movement between the grammar schools themselves and between the grammars and the local comprehensives.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx