Advice children already at grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Advice children already at grammar

Post by ToadMum »

Moomin2015 wrote:Thank you for the reply. We didn't know they offered swimming as ds is very good at that and something else he'd enjoy. From what I understand they had lists on induction day but they removed the joining lists as children where going mad writing names down and influx for ones such as computer club. I think clubs such as science society etc he just doesn't know enough about as although loves science and this is one of the main subjects he wants to study for future he thinks it sounds boring!! Maybe he can find out more when he starts in September and maybe mum needs to relax and stop worrying so much!
Sorry, only just picked up on this post.

Re swimming, it isn't offered as a sport - early in the spring term they ask boys who are interested in competing in the Borough Gala to attend a meeting and then a try-out session (this was at Eastwood Academy for DS2's year, during the school day). Your DS would have to keep an eye / far out for the notice

Science Society is fun - they do more of the 'open evening' stuff, also hold competitions. They used to go on great trips, as well,but sadly none since DS2 has been there.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

Cuppa-t
I think this may be a situation that requires a bit of slightly tough love.
If he thinks it will be easier to be at a different school there is a temptation to make it fail - human nature.
This is a general point - obviously not directed at your DS specifically!
Make sure he knows that most people will be concerned however bold they appear.
Try to get him to focus on the positive when you talk about it. We did a "what was the best thing that happened today" approach. Obviously he needs to be able to talk through genuine concerns but try not let him dwell on everything.

He will almost certainly be fine by half term.
Wish you all the very best.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Induction days can be overwhelming - so many new things, such big buildings, moving around for each lesson.

It is a big step and they easily tire at first - it will be the same at any Secondary and he cannot know he would even be with his friends.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Different school but my son also came away from his induction day saying he had an awful time and wanted me to send him to a local comp (his second choice school). I emailed the head of year just to make them aware of how he was feeling and some of the things he had said re. attending in September so they could keep an eye on him.

He is still incredibly nervous. We have just this morning done the second of our practice runs on the bus into town. And spent £55 quid on the stationery list (arghh). I'm trying to be understanding yet firm as I know once he has been there a few weeks he will love it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Cuppa-t, I don't know where you live in relation to Southend (school or town), but if you could make the time, you could arrange to meet him in the town at the end of the first day and take him for a milkshake or some other treat (I can recommend places to go :) ) - or even just over in Priory Park for a quiet walk and a chat?

By the way, Dr Bevan suggests that the question to ask our offspring is, 'What did you learn today?' I'm afraid it has become a bit of a joke in our house and we have a tendency to ask it within the quotation marks, if you see what I mean :lol: .
Last edited by ToadMum on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
cuppa-t

Post by cuppa-t »

Thank you everyone for the great advice, it helps so much to feel less alone about it. (All his friends are happily going off together and I don't want to mention how my ds feels to their parents as some of them would love this opportunity for their children). Thanks for taking it seriously, I will contact the school and remind my ds of his reasons for choosing this school. Hopefully he will love it once he's settled :)
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

My very very not sporty but performing arts dd says she's going to "throw myself into PE mummy they do so many more things than my old school! I can't wait to try them all!"

He may surprise you!
cuppa-t

Post by cuppa-t »

Hopefully!! He has said he just wants a friend to have break and lunch with. I've told him everyone feels the same :)
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Oh bless him. I hope he finds someone.

The girls all swapped numbers on their try out day and have been whatsapping all summer. Did he do similar at his induction day? Could he meet someone this week before he starts?
KB

Post by KB »

Remind him that the vast majority will be feeling the same. If he sees someone standing around by themselves then be brave and go over to them. They might not turn out to be his best mate but like him everyone will be pleased to have someone to talk to at first.

Joining in at every opportunity is the best way to meet potential friends and not get left hanging about.

It's always worse waiting for the first day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now