Is the Henrietta Barnett round 1 test the same as CCHS ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
littlemissm

Is the Henrietta Barnett round 1 test the same as CCHS ?

Post by littlemissm »

Hello,
I heard there are some girls sitting the Henrietta Barnett round 1 test this Saturday in preparation for the CCHS test on the 10th. Looking at the website the familiarisation booklet is the same as CCHS. Does anyone know if they do the same CEM test or if there are different versions of CEM test?
This is all very new to me so thought i'd ask.
Thank you
Daogroupie

Re: Is the Henrietta Barnett round 1 test the same as CCHS ?

Post by Daogroupie »

No it is not the same.

HBS is English VR and Numerical Reasoning and CCHS has those two plus NVR.

So HBS is a subset and it will also be a much harder paper so it may well backfire on them.

Last year the HBS CEM test was on September 17th so after everyone else.

I expect this year will be the last time they put their CEM test before CEM Super Saturday and before the DAO CEM test on September 3rd and the SW Consortium CEM test also on the 10th DG
littlemissm

Post by littlemissm »

Thank you !
Sounds like they'll probably have quite a few CEM exam tourists :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:No it is not the same.

HBS is English VR and Numerical Reasoning and CCHS has those two plus NVR.

So HBS is a subset and it will also be a much harder paper so it may well backfire on them.

Last year the HBS CEM test was on September 17th so after everyone else.

I expect this year will be the last time they put their CEM test before CEM Super Saturday and before the DAO CEM test on September 3rd and the SW Consortium CEM test also on the 10th DG
But if QE shouldn't make any attempt to curb the numbers sitting, to make sure that they get the creme de la creme (or whatever the male equivalent is), why would HBS want to discourage anyone from sitting their exam? Or are you implying that your bog-standard Chelmsford candidate is hardly likely to do well enough to go through to round 2 and will just be a waste of paper and admin time? They might do brilliantly and spark off a mass migration to North London. Or even a lifelong love of commuting - if it's reasonable for half the population of Ilford to travel to school in Colchester, I'm sure a bright girl could cope with Chelmsford to Hampstead Garden Suburb?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS want the best, that is why they are non catchment. But I am sure they do not want CEM tourists, that is why Buckinghamshire, SW Herts and Walsall have all moved later this year.

I am sure they welcome any dd who is interested in applying but not the CEM tourist who is just using their test as a dry run for other CEM exams.

I am sure they are plenty of dds in Chelmsford who would be capable of doing very well in the HBS CEM test but it will be a harder test than the local one as with no NVR there is more NR and VR. DG
littlemissm

Post by littlemissm »

Do you know if the raw score from the HBS CEM test will be used instead of the CCHS attempt as the CCHS information guide mentions "If it is found that an applicant has taken the test twice, the raw scores for the first attempt will be used for the standardisation process."
Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

littlemissm wrote:Do you know if the raw score from the HBS CEM test will be used instead of the CCHS attempt as the CCHS information guide mentions "If it is found that an applicant has taken the test twice, the raw scores for the first attempt will be used for the standardisation process."
Thanks
Probably not, as it is not exactly the same test (not sure about not including NVR making a test 'harder' myself, though, but that's by the by), but it would be sensible to query this with CCHS - or, possibly, with CEM, since they are the ones who will know everyone who actually takes their tests. Presumably each school / consortium will only know who takes their one.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not the same test so the raw score cannot be used.

Even CEM tests that are the same can only be used with the prior agreement of the school.

DAO is not accepting any applicants who have sat the CEM paper at SW Herts even though it is exactly the same paper. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now