Why pen and pencil?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mci

Why pen and pencil?

Post by Mci »

As exam approaches, I feel really concerned and confused as I do not know the procedure during the exam.

Could any of the lovely parents from last years advise on the way of working through the English paper, please?
Why are they asked to have a pen and a pencil?
Can they underline in the reading text?
Are they told when to start or to finish?
Are they given all the papers from the very beginning?

Thank you very much!
ToadMum

Re: Why pen and pencil?

Post by ToadMum »

Mci wrote:As exam approaches, I feel really concerned and confused as I do not know the procedure during the exam.

Could any of the lovely parents from last years advise on the way of working through the English paper, please?
Why are they asked to have a pen and a pencil?
Can they underline in the reading text?
Are they told when to start or to finish?
Are they given all the papers from the very beginning?

Thank you very much!
In answer to the last, if you mean both the maths and the English, then no, as they are separated by a break. If you mean all the parts of the English paper, then yes (I assume - all ours took the pre-2015 entry version), since the instructions say to do things in any order, I think?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mci

Post by Mci »

Thank you very much for your answer, ToadMum!

I meant the English paper, if all of them are given from the very beginning as I tried to figure out if they can read through the comprehension question while reading the text.
I was also confused about the use of pen/pencil. If they can underline in the text...
Applejack

Post by Applejack »

Hi Mci,

I'll try to answer based on recent mock experience.

The kids were told to use either pen or pencil depending on whichever they were most comfortable with.

The English exam starts with 10 mins of reading time and the kids are told when this time is up. In this time they can read the extract and look through any part of the English exam but are not allowed to pick up a pencil or pen.

As Toadmum mentioned, the English paper is first and the Maths is given after a short break.

Hope this helps x
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Hi. I asked my son who did it last year. He said the same as posted above about the mock.
You get given all the English paper together and you can read any part of it in the ten minutes.
Mci

Post by Mci »

Thank you very much ToadMum, Applejack and SlightlyStressedMum!
Your answers are very much appreciated as they make things clear in my mind!

Thank you!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now