Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: CSSE Examination Dates
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:20 pm 

Hi All,

Quick question, my DS has his exam date for this Saturday, his friend has a date for the 27th Sept (Tuesday)? will they be completing the same papers?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:40 pm 

I'm fairly sure the alternative date is a different paper. Good luck for Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 pm 

I believe so. One of my DS's friend sat the alternative test day 3 years ago and the comprehension was different.... not sure about the rest as they don't remember much.

Good luck on Saturday !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:38 pm 

My daughter just came home saying a boy in her class is sitting on 27th and that confused me. Why would he have an alternative date so early?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:21 pm 

seriousmum wrote:
My daughter just came home saying a boy in her class is sitting on 27th and that confused me. Why would he have an alternative date so early?

Assuming that he doesn't belong to a religion which says that taking an exam on a Saturday is forbidden, it is probably because they registered relatively late and all the boys' venues were already at capacity. The CSSE did the same thing last year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:39 pm 

Unfortunately there are some parents who register late in the hope of getting to do the same paper on a later date that other students have already done, but this strategy backfires at CSSE as they use a different paper.

Last year a reasonably straightforward Cider with Rosie paper was the main paper but the backup was a far harder (in my opinion) Silas Marner paper.

So there is no advantage to sitting later at CSSE.

DG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:45 am 

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Best of luck to all for Saturday and 27th.

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:16 pm 

Really helpful. Thanks and good luck to everyone for Saturday.

Post subject: Re: CSSE Exams
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:55 pm 

Hi All,

Just noticed this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-37462647

After my son completed the CSSE exam he told me two/three children had said to him that they had already seen the paper and memorized the answers, I did not think anything of it and told him that the boy's are just boasting, however having now seen this article do we have anything to worry about?

Post subject: Re: CSSE Exams
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:15 pm 

Essex_Dad wrote:
Hi All,

Just noticed this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-37462647

After my son completed the CSSE exam he told me two/three children had said to him that they had already seen the paper and memorized the answers, I did not think anything of it and told him that the boy's are just boasting, however having now seen this article do we have anything to worry about?

I would be very, very surprised, as the papers are written in-house and as far as I am aware there has never been any hint of impropriety within the schools when it comes to the conduct of the exams. It is possible that the passage came from a book that they had looked at with their tutor, or even, just possibly, read off their own bat?

Personally, I would put it down to boasting on the part of the children concerned. (I hesitate to add, 'bit of a boy thing', but...).