Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 11plus Books
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:06 pm 

Hi, we are about to start the 11plus journey with our 2nd ds. I kept all the workbooks from my eldest going back to 2012. However, i have noticed they have brought out new versions since then and was wondering if they would just be the same or am I missing something? Dont want to go and buy duplications if the content is just the same. Also any books people have found invaluable? Thanks :D

Post subject: Re: 11plus Books
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:29 pm 

It's probably new versions with the same content. If you mention which books and which publisher maybe someone can help you better.

However if the test style/content hasn't changed then I wouldn't worry too much.

The other option is if a local bookstore has the new versions and you can have a look without the obligation of buying.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:52 pm 

Thank you Tinkers. Im off to the book store in the morning to view but thought i would ask here as well. Im looking at the Bonds / Letts books - im pressuming its just the outer cover thats changed. Ive noticed the older style covers are cheaper to buy online so didnt want to buy if there was a genuine reason.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:31 pm 

Tinkers wrote:
It's probably new versions with the same content. If you mention which books and which publisher maybe someone can help you better.

However if the test style/content hasn't changed then I wouldn't worry too much.

The other option is if a local bookstore has the new versions and you can have a look without the obligation of buying.

Tinkers, the CSSE test has changed since 2012, in that it now consists of a one hour English paper with a bit of VR and a 15-mark continuous writing section, plus a one hour maths paper with a few NVR-type questions. As opposed to a 40 minute English paper / 35 minute maths (both written in-house, which hasn't changed) / 50 minute GL VR paper. The comprehension is pretty much the same; the continuous writing seems to be of the 'Describe how to make a piece of toast in 5 sentences' type (two pieces to do).

(The main difference, of course, is the dropping of the GL verbal reasoning paper, which in our house would occasion one 'hooray', one 'Oh. I liked that paper' and one expression of total indifference, I suspect. I think there were comments this year about the English paper including VR questions of a hitherto unseen variety? - to which I would only say, 'good'. It's called 'verbal reasoning', guys - that means working it out :shock: . ).