november 2007 exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

marathon girl

november 2007 exams

Post by marathon girl »

hi
Is there any one out there who can supply feeback on the 2007 eleven plus. I'm confused. My daughter came out of the exam very happy and quietly confident. I thought this was great until I found out the following week that most of her friends from school felt the same way.
Maths easy, the english ok but a lot easier than previous years papers and the verbal reasoning relatively ok difficulty wise but time consuming.

Did any of your children find the exam on the easy side? Have they dumbed down the tests? Or were our children just so pleased to have it over and done........
Bwinkie

Post by Bwinkie »

My son and four others from his school all said the same. Maths and English OK, VR harder and not all of them finished.

I understand that one paper is always harder than the others and it varies from year to year. As English was the one last year it was expected to be easier this year.

Hope that helps.
tami

Post by tami »

my son also said that the vr was difficult and was unable to finish it :cry:
Tami
newby

reactions to the test

Post by newby »

When my daughter took it a couple of years ago, she came out and said the maths was ok, the English quite hard but better than expected and the VR was awful. She reckoned she had only answered half the paper.
At school on Monday many pupils were saying how it had all been ok and they thought they had done enough to pass.
The result..
A grammar school place for our daughter but none among those who had found it easy and they were a pretty bright bunch of juniors.
Interestingly, a friend of mine told me, when I had advised her that daughter had found some of it so hard, that she expected our daughter would be fine and probably get enough marks because she had found that whenever in her life she thought she had done badly, it was always the opposite.
You just can't tell.
tami

Post by tami »

thanks for that nugget of information :lol: just hope he can prove your theory right!
Tami
marathon girl

Re: reactions to the test

Post by marathon girl »

newby wrote:When my daughter took it a couple of years ago, she came out and said the maths was ok, the English quite hard but better than expected and the VR was awful. She reckoned she had only answered half the paper.
At school on Monday many pupils were saying how it had all been ok and they thought they had done enough to pass.
The result..
A grammar school place for our daughter but none among those who had found it easy and they were a pretty bright bunch of juniors.
Interestingly, a friend of mine told me, when I had advised her that daughter had found some of it so hard, that she expected our daughter would be fine and probably get enough marks because she had found that whenever in her life she thought she had done badly, it was always the opposite.
You just can't tell.

as you have already been through the process - do you know how the scoring system works. I understand that it is weighted 50:25:25. but how does that relate to the maximum score of 390. It surely can't be 130 for each subject due to that fact that vr carries 50% of the marks so would surely be worth 197 points. are maths and english out of 90 points each......
chickenshed

11+ feedback

Post by chickenshed »

Hi
Like most others my son said that Maths and English was relatively easy but VR very hard. He said there were lots of codes which are not his strong point, and that he didn't have time for 20 questions or so, and therefore entered random answers for them in the multiple choice in the last few minutes. Doing the maths we think it will be hard for him to get a very high score, as VR is 50% but who knows...? We'll just all ahve to wait and see I guess. Shame because his is so very bright :(
tami

Post by tami »

sorry to hear this. But i think many are in the same boat this year.
Tami