Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:15 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm
Posts: 16
Do any of the parents send their students travelling through coach or private coach from Colchester to Southend or Westcliff?

My DS has scores which are in AMBER for CRGS and we are looking for parents who would consider sending their children to Southend or Westcliff OR any existing parents who are sending their kids to Southend or Westcliff from Colchester


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4600
Location: Essex
Keen_Parent wrote:
Do any of the parents send their students travelling through coach or private coach from Colchester to Southend or Westcliff?

My DS has scores which are in AMBER for CRGS and we are looking for parents who would consider sending their children to Southend or Westcliff OR any existing parents who are sending their kids to Southend or Westcliff from Colchester


I live a mile from WHSB. I sometimes have to go to the Wilson Marriage ACL centre in Colchester. My mileage claim for those days is 87 or 88 miles, depending on detours for roadworks.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm
Posts: 16
ToadMum wrote:
Keen_Parent wrote:
Do any of the parents send their students travelling through coach or private coach from Colchester to Southend or Westcliff?

My DS has scores which are in AMBER for CRGS and we are looking for parents who would consider sending their children to Southend or Westcliff OR any existing parents who are sending their kids to Southend or Westcliff from Colchester


I live a mile from WHSB. I sometimes have to go to the Wilson Marriage ACL centre in Colchester. My mileage claim for those days is 87 or 88 miles, depending on detours for roadworks.


Any idea how much the commute time will be if it were the other way around or the usual commute time is


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:28 pm
Posts: 2361
I have known various parents consider this over many years but none of them has gone through with it.
If you are really talking about commuting from Colchester itself then I think it would be wise to consider all other options first.
It will be a long and tricky commute.
While the schools are no doubt very good, what are your local options?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4600
Location: Essex
Keen_Parent wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Keen_Parent wrote:
Do any of the parents send their students travelling through coach or private coach from Colchester to Southend or Westcliff?

My DS has scores which are in AMBER for CRGS and we are looking for parents who would consider sending their children to Southend or Westcliff OR any existing parents who are sending their kids to Southend or Westcliff from Colchester


I live a mile from WHSB. I sometimes have to go to the Wilson Marriage ACL centre in Colchester. My mileage claim for those days is 87 or 88 miles, depending on detours for roadworks.


Any idea how much the commute time will be if it were the other way around or the usual commute time is


Come and have a look at the stationary traffic at the A130 / A1245 junction at 7.45 in the morning. Then follow the queue along the Southend-bound A127 . Or the traffic on the A12. Set off for the information sessions as if you were aiming to get to the schools for 8.25am. Your DS's primary school should authorise the time off - even if you were aiming for 2pm, he would need to miss some of the morning session.

Eta there is a Consortium bus (504) from somewhere near(ish?) Colchester. Have a look at the Transport tab on the CSSE site.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm
Posts: 16
KB wrote:
I have known various parents consider this over many years but none of them has gone through with it.
If you are really talking about commuting from Colchester itself then I think it would be wise to consider all other options first.
It will be a long and tricky commute.
While the schools are no doubt very good, what are your local options?


Thanks KB. Local options are state schools Or some private school options in Ipswich. I am also not sure whether there will be an intake at CRGS for year 9 would be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:09 am
Posts: 112
The acid test for me is would you do the commute for work?

What schools are your options? We have some good comps in the town I'm suprised you're considering such a commute to avoid them.

Is moving an option?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4600
Location: Essex
Keen_Parent wrote:
KB wrote:
I have known various parents consider this over many years but none of them has gone through with it.
If you are really talking about commuting from Colchester itself then I think it would be wise to consider all other options first.
It will be a long and tricky commute.
While the schools are no doubt very good, what are your local options?


Thanks KB. Local options are state schools Or some private school options in Ipswich. I am also not sure whether there will be an intake at CRGS for year 9 would be.


Grammar schools are state schools...

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm
Posts: 16
Any idea how much the commute time will be if it were the other way around or the usual commute time is[/quote]

Come and have a look at the stationary traffic at the A130 / A1245 junction at 7.45 in the morning. Then follow the queue along the Southend-bound A127 . Or the traffic on the A12. Set off for the information sessions as if you were aiming to get to the schools for 8.25am. Your DS's primary school should authorise the time off - even if you were aiming for 2pm, he would need to miss some of the morning session.

Eta there is a Consortium bus (504) from somewhere near(ish?) Colchester. Have a look at the Transport tab on the CSSE site.[/quote]

Thanks ToadMum. Experiencing it first hand will make me take a rational decision. The consortium bus is there from Witham which starts at 6.40 which is way too early.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4600
Location: Essex
Keen_Parent wrote:
Any idea how much the commute time will be if it were the other way around or the usual commute time is


Come and have a look at the stationary traffic at the A130 / A1245 junction at 7.45 in the morning. Then follow the queue along the Southend-bound A127 . Or the traffic on the A12. Set off for the information sessions as if you were aiming to get to the schools for 8.25am. Your DS's primary school should authorise the time off - even if you were aiming for 2pm, he would need to miss some of the morning session.

Eta there is a Consortium bus (504) from somewhere near(ish?) Colchester. Have a look at the Transport tab on the CSSE site.[/quote]

Thanks ToadMum. Experiencing it first hand will make me take a rational decision. The consortium bus is there from Witham which starts at 6.40 which is way too early.[/quote]

I think your DS might be in for a bit of a shock if 6.40 is 'way too early'. If you are anywhere near a station with trains to Shenfield, he can change there for Prittlewell for SHSB - it's a 10 / 15 minute walk to the school from the station and he needs to be on the train which gets in at about 7.50am as the next one doesn't leave much room for manoeuvre if the train is late. It's a bit of a bonkers journey, really, except as a very short term measure until you move to somewhere more convenient for the school.

Colchester to WHSB by train is definitely bonkers, as the school is not walking distance from any station on the Southend Victoria line and so would require bus and walk from Rayleigh or bus from Southend Vic.

Or Colchester / Stratford / West Ham / Chalkwell / 20-25 minute walk.

(Please don't even consider that one...).

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016