What order to put schools in

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nichat

What order to put schools in

Post by nichat »

Hello

Can anyone please confirm that it does not matter what order you place schools on the Essex application form. I plan to put KEGS second as we have a local school that is a shorter distance from our home but I don't think my DS will be get an offer there as he didn't do too well in their aptitude tests & as the most competitive comprehensive in the borough am not holding my breath! I understand if he doesn't get his first choice then his second (KEGS) will become his first choice but am scared to do this in case I am wrong!
His score for 11plus should be plenty to get him in as he is not borderline but desperately don't want to jeopardise his chances by placing it second! Hope this makes sense! Thank you
Tinkers

Re: What order to put schools in

Post by Tinkers »

Put the schools in your genuine order of preference. Where you put the school does not affect your likelihood of getting the school. You will be school highest on your list that can offer you a place.

Just Make sure you put down a school you are happy with and pretty sure you would get on there. Otherwise you could end up with whatever school your LA can find you a place.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Put them in the true order you want them. If you don't meet the requirements for your first choice then that drops off the list and your second choice becomes your first choice etc etc. The schools don't know the order they are listed. If you want Kegs then you need to put that first, if your first choice is a nearer school list that first.

*Edited* Sorry I made that sound like you must but Kegs first for a chance. You don't have to. Do as you said, put your nearer school that you want as first choice first, then if he doesn't meet the criteria your second choice (Kegs?) automatically becomes your new first choice. If he meets the criteria for this choice then that's what is allocated. If not then your third choice becomes first choice and so on...
nichat

Post by nichat »

Thank you both v much for confirming that it's a great help!
KB

Post by KB »

Just wondering if you are sure that the local comprehensive is the best fit for your son?
It may be that it is difficult to get to KEGS and this is an overriding factor?
I raise the question because it sounds like he did a lot better in the test for KEGS than for the comprehensive so it might be an indication of where he would be most suited to?
If you are out of catchment for KEGS and he has scored highly enough to he sure of a place then he has done extremely well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now