Private school impact on admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
siro157

Private school impact on admissions

Post by siro157 »

I didn't realise until today that children who have got into private schools only found out this month (e.g. New Hall in Chelmsford informed their successful applicants on 15 December).

That surely means there are a number of children who will have got high 11+ scores and applied to an Essex Grammar School, who will then turn down the place they are offered to take up their private school place.

Does anyone know what happens with this? EG If National Offer Day is March 1, are lots of places then offered out later in March? And is it a groundswell of places or just a handful?

Like many here, my DS is on the borderline so we are hoping that even if his score doesn't get him in on NOD, then it will before 1 September. Any advice appreciated!
hermanmunster

Re: Private school impact on admissions

Post by hermanmunster »

siro157 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:46 pm I didn't realise until today that children who have got into private schools only found out this month (e.g. New Hall in Chelmsford informed their successful applicants on 15 December).

That surely means there are a number of children who will have got high 11+ scores and applied to an Essex Grammar School, who will then turn down the place they are offered to take up their private school place.

Does anyone know what happens with this? EG If National Offer Day is March 1, are lots of places then offered out later in March? And is it a groundswell of places or just a handful?

Like many here, my DS is on the borderline so we are hoping that even if his score doesn't get him in on NOD, then it will before 1 September. Any advice appreciated!
Some people take both exams as they want the choice / have a back up. Each child cna only go to one school for some it will be the state school and for others, the private school

It may be those who are offered private school places will not take them as they would prefer the GS place, private schools know that a significant number will turn them down (either because they opt for state school or another private school) and so tend to over offer to ensure they have full classes

Come March - yes all GS waiting lists move a bit (varies hugely around the country) and much of this is due to private school places being taken up - there are usually threads on the forum each year tracking the waiting lists - which schools are you looking at ?
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

My DS was in this position a few years back. He was borderline and ended up being 4th on the KEGS waiting list on National offer day. It took until September (after term started) to be offered a place at KEGS (which then released a SHSB place). It is a real roller coaster ride. So in DS's year the waiting list moved by 0.7 points and 4 places.

Things may be even more tight this year with Labour pledging to add VAT to private school fees if they are elected. That will take the £20,880 per year for a Year 7 day place up to £25k per year at New Hall School (Felsted and the Brentwood school are even more expensive per year). It might be harder to give up a Grammar place for a private school place from now on.
siro157

Post by siro157 »

Thank you, both!

Blitz - That does sound like a rollercoaster. Glad it worked out for you! I had assumed it would be many more than four places (and like you say, that's before the possible new VAT rules).

Herman - He is very borderline for Southend (OOC) and Colchester. Looking at freedom of information requests, those two do seem to have many more drop outs than KEGS. On historical figures my DS's score of 338.77 would have got him in to one or other four of the last five years - although often that would have been via waiting list. So I guess just wait and hope now.
Swirl

Post by Swirl »

Blitz wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:24 pm So in DS's year the waiting list moved by 0.7 points and 4 places.

Things may be even more tight this year with Labour pledging to add VAT to private school fees if they are elected. That will take the £20,880 per year for a Year 7 day place up to £25k per year at New Hall School (Felsted and the Brentwood school are even more expensive per year). It might be harder to give up a Grammar place for a private school place from now on.
This is very interesting, Blitz. Thanks for sharing - quite a lot of food for thought!
MrsBmk2

Post by MrsBmk2 »

The selection test to gain admission to a state funded grammar school should only be open to those children who have attended state funded primary schools. That would sort the issue. :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

MrsBmk2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:47 pm The selection test to gain admission to a state funded grammar school should only be open to those children who have attended state funded primary schools. That would sort the issue. :)
I presume this isn't a serious suggestion?
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scary mum wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:42 pm
MrsBmk2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:47 pm The selection test to gain admission to a state funded grammar school should only be open to those children who have attended state funded primary schools. That would sort the issue. :)
usual sort of la la thing people come up with from time to time. the parents whose children have been to private primaries have just as much right to use the State system as any other parents
MrsBmk2

Post by MrsBmk2 »

Very much so.
MrsBmk2

Post by MrsBmk2 »

hermanmunster wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:21 pm
usual sort of la la thing people come up with from time to time. the parents whose children have been to private primaries have just as much right to use the State system as any other parents
I respectfully disagree. The purpose of grammar schools is to offer education to the most able children, not those that have had the best education. This slight tweak would make that more likely to happen.

(Never minding the original social mobility aspect).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now