Chelmsford County High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vrushalidv

Chelmsford County High School

Post by vrushalidv »

Hi

My daughter will sit for grammar school exams in september 2017 and will start school in sept 2018. We are looking to move to chelmsford but she is attending tuition in london. If we move in september 2017 end to chelmsford (within 12.5 mile radius) we will be considrered in catchment 80% or outside catchment in 20% seats

Thanks
ToadMum

Re: Chelmsford grammar school for girls

Post by ToadMum »

vrushalidv wrote:Hi

My daughter will sit for grammar school exams in september 2017 and will start school in sept 2018. We are looking to move to chelmsford but she is attending tuition in london. If we move in september 2017 end to chelmsford (within 12.5 mile radius) we will be considrered in catchment 80% or outside catchment in 20% seats

Thanks
This is from the information on the CCHS website, concerning applications for entry in September 2017:

] Demonstrating residence
Only one address can be used for the application. In applying these admission
arrangements ‘permanent home address’ will be defined as the permanent place of
residence of the parent with whom the pupil spends the majority of the school week
(Sunday to Thursday nights inclusive) at the time the online registration form is
submitted for the CCHS Entrance Test, or the date it is received by the Admissions
Office, if applying by post.
The exception to this is if the family are returning from
abroad to a previous permanent place of residence within the priority area
(documentary evidence will be required), are members of the Diplomatic Service or
Armed Forces.
Permanent residency is defined as owner occupancy or long-term letting contract
(minimum of 6 months) of a residential property (evidence will be required in the
form of a UK driving licence, council tax notification and two utility bills dated
within the last six months, one of which must be the electricity bill). If in rented
accommodation, a copy of a signed valid long term tenancy agreement must be
provided covering the period from the time the online registration form is submitted
for the CCHS Entrance Test, or the date it is received by the Admissions Office, if
applying by post, to the start of term in September 2017. The Governing Body may
refuse to base an allocation on an address which might be considered only a
temporary address.
In the case of a recent change of address, additional evidence will be required in the
form of proof of exchange of contracts or a signed valid long term tenancy
agreement, as defined above. This is in addition to the UK driving licence, council
tax notification and two utility bills dated within the last six months (one of which
must be the electricity bill).
Proof of residence can be requested at any time. If it is subsequently discovered that
an application contains a falsely claimed or dated address, then any offer of a place
will be withdrawn. Where there is reasonable doubt as to the validity of a
permanent home address, the school reserves the right to undertake additional
checking measures in relation to both current and any previous addresses and any
primary school(s) attended.
Any information that is subsequently proven to have been provided fraudulently
will potentially invalidate that application.
The student must be able to show to the school’s satisfaction that she has a right to
reside in the United Kingdom and is entitled to state education. Overseas applicants
must hold a full British or EU passport.

So it looks as if you have to be within the 12.5 mile radius by the time you register to take the test - the test is in September so the closing date will be well before that. This year it was 27th June. You should be looking to move during or before half term in the summer term, but bear in mind that you may have to investigate in year places at several schools before you find a school with a place in year 5. I would contact County Hall well in advance of your move; they will process your application on your London address until you move and provide proof of your Chelmsford address, but they will at least be able to advise you of any schools with actual places (I would warm you, that this may beware case of 'if any').

There is an Essex CC final date for proof of address which is just after the Christmas prior to the allocation day, but the registration cut off is specifically mentioned in the CCHS admissions policy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sparkle16

Post by Sparkle16 »

vrushalidv wrote:Hi

Thanks
My understanding for Chelmsford girls is that to be considered as i/c, your permanent home address must fall within the 12.5 mile radius as at the time the online registration form is submitted for the entrance test which is normally by July(hence you would need to move prior to the test in September). For KEG's it's a bit different and you would have a bit of leeway...
Link below for September 2017 Admisssion Policy
http://www.cchs.co.uk/wp-content/upload ... -Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vrushalidv

Post by vrushalidv »

Thanks for replies. CCHS admissions replied today to my email but just gave link to admissions link for september 2017..they did not comment anything. just said for sept 2018 details will be updated in march 2017. till that time refer september 2017 details. on phone they denied to talk about admissions queries.

we do not have any issues in moving earlier..only problem is her 11plus classes which she is doing as of now. if we moved those classes will be very far to attend so have to look for new ones in chelmsford which i am not sure if there are any good classes like harrow london.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would advise you to move to Chelmsford now to ensure you are in catchment for a good comp; you need a back-up plan should your daughter not do well enough to get a place.

I'm sure the right house is more important than tuition.
mad?

Post by mad? »

vrushalidv wrote:we do not have any issues in moving earlier..only problem is her 11plus classes which she is doing as of now. if we moved those classes will be very far to attend so have to look for new ones in chelmsford which i am not sure if there are any good classes like harrow london.
Might I suggest that you do not base any family relocation decision on the basis of random tutors? Lots (indeed the majority) of children attending CCHS are reasonably local and have managed to get in despite not having Harrow/London tutors. Maybe they are just bright? Maybe the tutors are fine? Either way if you think that DD's chances are so precipitous that she can only get in with a London tutor, if indeed they are 'better' then please think long and hard about what you are doing. Focus on the alternatives if she does not make it, and do not base your family future on it.
mad?
vrushalidv

Post by vrushalidv »

yes definitely we are looking through all options thats why posted query here to get information. thank you for your help.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Just to add, CCHS are really thorough with these checks of residence.

A friend of mine was returning from teaching abroad to her old address less than two miles from the school. They moved back after term finished in July (so had applied from abroad but her DD sat the test from the i/c address). She had to provide all the documents listed and a photocopy of the deeds of the house. These documents were requested in January before places were offered in March.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I hold no brief for any tutor, in Chelmsford or otherwise, since our DC knew that it was up to them to get into grammar school, or not, on their own merits, but I am sure that someone who lives in Chelmsford will be able to recommend someone who is regarded locally as being good.

But if you feel that the only way that your DD stands a chance of getting in to Chelmsford County High School (to give it its proper name) is through attending a particular tutoring business in Harrow, then perhaps it would be better to stay put and continue with the coaching there to get her up to the level she is likely to have to achieve for an 'open' place, rather than risk her not even being able to get a score sufficient for an in catchment place due to the deficiencies of the local tutoring industry?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
vrushalidv

Re: Chelmsford County High School

Post by vrushalidv »

ofcourse there will b good tutors in chelmsford.only issue is bcoz if we move nearer exam form date it will be middle.of yr so not aware if there will be places..have asked one of friend who stays there to enquire about classes if we will get place.getting grammar school is not totally dependent on tutor but yes definitely we need help as with little one at home i wont be able to give her enough time.so just looking at all options .