CRGS boys - can they have a social life?...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Post by KB »

Hi jazzteddy.
He did enjoy greek - quite a small class and boys who had chosen the subject so were interested!
Didn't take it to GCSE though as didn't intend to take classics or English to A level. Did take Latin GCSE & wanted to keep broad spread of subjects. Greek GCSE is hard work to get good grade (even more than Latin I think).
Green Fingers

Post by Green Fingers »

HI Jazzteddy, my son took greek as we thought he could learn german in the future should he need to, but it would probably be the only opportunity he would get to study ancient greek. He didn't take it to GCSE although with hindsight, he wishes he had as he really enjoyed it.
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

nightnurse

Post by nightnurse »

Hi
My son is in year 9 and he opted for greek in year 8, he has also just opted to take it to GCSE.
He says that if you enjoy latin you will enjoy greek, his group has 25/50 pupils they are taken from two forms.
More people in his year are taking greek for GCSE than german, those that took german now wish they'd taken greek. I get the impression that each year group has its own character, so this may be an anomoly.

He is also about to go to Italy on a classics trip, visiting Rome, Sorento Heracuaneum and Pompei. I wish I was going too!!
I wish your DS 's all the best CRGS is a very special school and all the boys are privilaged to go there.
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

jackson

Post by jackson »

Hi - fascinating discussions about the merits of the school - hopefully encouraging Zoe's DS to take his place ar CRGS - like Jazzteddy, could become addicted to the site if not careful!
Just wanted to make a quick comment about Greek versus German. Obviously the school gives the boys taster sessions and each subject is sold by the teachers. Greek is great for those studying the classics and offers a great opportunity, quite rare in secondary education now. But, my son has taken German and really enjoys it (Year 9 and does not wish he had taken Greek!!). He has just completed a German exchange (arrives home today) and has loved every minute of it, staying with a very carng German family who have ensured the whole time was filled with fun and exciting experiences. It sounds as though both Greek and German have very positive opportunites. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now