11 Plus Preperation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mr_trumpy

11 Plus Preperation

Post by mr_trumpy »

I live in Essex and have a child who starts year 8 in September and would like to know what work he can do now in preperation for the exam. He has been doing Bond Assessment papers but I have been told by the school that these are too easy.
noexpert

Post by noexpert »

Children sit the exam in Year 6. If your son is going into Year 8 he is too old for the 11+.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Some schools in essex have places in Year 9. If your son is at a prep school that finishes at 13+ then they should be preparing him adequately. I'm not sure if the tests differ slightly for Year 9 places as they may be more what you have learned rather than potential unlike the 11+. I'm not sure about preparation at this point but you can buy the common entrance exams from ISEB and this may be an indicator as to what they may be expecting. If he's acheiving high marks in these then he should be fine as the pass mark is 70% at the top public schools. :)
mr_trumpy

Re: 11 Plus Preperation

Post by mr_trumpy »

mr_trumpy wrote:I live in Essex and have a child who starts year 8 in September and would like to know what work he can do now in preperation for the exam. He has been doing Bond Assessment papers but I have been told by the school that these are too easy.
Sorry I have just read the above :? He is starting year 5 in September :oops:
noexpert

Post by noexpert »

If you're looking at the Essex schools the maths and English papers are written by the CSSE. Their office sells the actual past papers and are currently selling three years worth.

They use Nfer Nelson Multiple Choice for the Verbal Reasoning and although you can't get actual papers they do sell very similar ones. The VR packs are also available in bookshops.

The CSSE office closes for the school holidays so if you want the papers before then contact them now.

Bear in mind that if your son is only starting in Year 5 in September some of the papers might be a bit difficult as he is unlikely to have covered the work, especially in the maths.
mr_trumpy

Post by mr_trumpy »

I have just been to WH Smith and purchased some NFR Nelson packs. What I am looking for now is something to boost my sons english level. He has been doing Bond assessment papers but I have been told by the school that these are easy.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to sutable material to help boost a childs english level?
moved

Bond papers

Post by moved »

I use and adapt the 12-13+ Bond papers as the comprehension texts are more suitable for the Essex paper. These would be a bit tough at the beginning of year 5 though. Are you getting him to read as much as possible, listening to classical stories in the car is also good.
mr_trumpy

Post by mr_trumpy »

He reads alot but we have not attempted the classics yet. Does anyone have an up to date list? I like the idea of listening to the classics in the car.

He has been streamed at his school into "the slower moving stream" but I am told this was soley down to his english level so this is the area I want to concentrate on. I have tried to find a tutor but most so far are fully booked.
jojojo

Post by jojojo »

mr_trumpy

11 + Tutor

Post by mr_trumpy »

I am looking for an 11 plus tutor and have been told a guy called Mark Chatterton is very good. I have been unable to obtain his contact details. Dose anyone have these or can they recommend someone in the Southend area?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now