OFF TOPIC - but Brentwood exam this coming weekend, any tips

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tony42

Good point, but I have not managed expectations well....

Post by Tony42 »

Lulu - thank you!

I appreciate the point you make - but I fear my naïvety has caused a problem. I have been so impressed with Brentwood, and my son has too, that I have encouraged his view that he might well go there. Now he has a place and a scholarship, he REALLLLLY wants to go there and I think he is secretly dreading an offer from KEGS...

I disagree that he doesn't have a valid opinion, just because he is 11; he is very grown up and I respect his judgement.

The thing that will probably end up being the clincher is that he so much wants to go to Brentwood that if I "persaude" him to accept a KEGS offer (if he gets one) he will always wonder what it would have been like at Brentwood, especially if he doesn't take immediately to KEGS...

If we DO get a KEGS offer my wife and I will sit down and discuss everything with him, press the KEGS case and see how he REALLY feels about it. I might also see if we can get another tour of KEGS. If it's his decision to go to KEGS then it will be fine with me, at this stage and after completely and utterly failing to manage everyone's expectations, if he wants to go to Brentwood then I don't see how I can say no.

One thing I have not yet mentioned here is that my wife ABSOLUTELY wants him to go to KEGS. She likes Brentwood, but she loves KEGS...

Let's see what happens.

Appreciate all your help
T
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

Hi Tony,

Congratulations to your son.
I realise the more choices you have the harder the decision becomes. I know people at both Kegs and Brentwood - both schools have a fantastic reputation!
Unfortunately, we are not in a financial position to go down the Independant route (even with a partial scholarship!) - all our hopes are pinned on the results in 3 weeks.
Selfishly I know, I can't help but think that if your son loves Brentwood, he has won a scholarship and you can afford the remaining fees you should take that option; because it frees the spaces up for those of us without that choice. Please don't shoot me down in flames, I am only being honest from a selfish point of view!
From what I understand, the facilities at Brentwood are first class, my friend's son participates in many sports including Fencing. I too agree with your comments about Kegs, the building could do with a tidy up and obviously their sports facilities do not compare. However, the teaching and ethos are excellent!
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Tony42

Appreciate the candour

Post by Tony42 »

Hi ho Silver (sorry). I appreciate your candour, the sentiment has not been lost on me.

Of course my son may not even get an offer, he didn't finish the VR test at KEGS!!!

If he does get an offer my wife, my son and me will sit down and talk it through... the comments on this site, public and private have been hugely helpful, as many of them come from KEGS/Brentwood insiders.

Clearly both schools are excellent and every pupil who go to them will, if they work hard, get a fantastic education.

Good luck to your son, who knows our sons might end up as best friends!

Warm regards
Tony
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

Thanks for understanding my viewpoint Tony. I really wasn't trying to come across in any way critical because if I were in your position, I would be having exactly the same thoughts as you. Obviously, you want what's best for your child. Hopefully, instinct/gut feeling will kick in and help you make the right decision.
:D
moved

Post by moved »

Congratulations Tony42, I looked on the site, to see how your son had done, when the Brentwood results were out and haven't been back since. We have a Felsted scholarship for our daughter, which is her first choice, but she would have to board and I will need a bursary as well as the scholarship.
Regarding the library at KEGS, they have books delivered from the council library and seem to provide enough choice for my voracious reader. We wondered whether or not our son would stand out at KEGS and get pushed and they have met all of his own peculiar needs and recognised his talents where they appear.
It is a really difficult choice, we are going away for half-term, just to give my daughter (and me) a break from the stress!
KEGSmum

KEGS

Post by KEGSmum »

Hi Tony 42,

It sounds as if you have pretty much made your mind up, judging by your very unfavourable comments about KEGS. It is very easy for places like Brentwood School to have absolutely fabulous facilities because of the fees they charge. KEGS is, after all, just a state school. I am sure that if your son gets offered a place at KEGS and you turn it down, you will be doing some other child a great favour and making a family who perhaps can't afford school fees very happy. I hope you and your son are very happy at Brentwood School.
Tony42

KEGS

Post by Tony42 »

Thanks for you comments KEGSMUM, I value all your comments on here, you have certainly helped changed my view on what is clearly an amazing school in KEGS.

From where I sit now I doubt my son will get an offer (the VR test is so crucial and I don't think my son did well), but until one knows for sure there is always the chance and this site has allowed me to talk through the different issues going through my head.

I do not think we have made our mind up for sure and I do not think we will know for sure until we get the LA offer, either KEGS or a local comp, none of which (the comps) will do my son any favours.

The bottom line is my head says KEGS, my heart says Brentwood. My son is set on Brentwood, my wife thinks KEGS is brilliant and would rather we saved the cash.

Everyone here has been so helpful, I just wish I had come across this site a year earlier.

I went to a brilliant Grammar in the East End (Parmiter's) and educationally it was superb, but I did not enjoy it. I would have loved Brentwood.

Someone else said it on here; there is no right answer and all our kids are different! But this site definitely helped me a whole bundle and I hope my varied ramblings help other people next year.

Thx
T :D :( :D :( :D :( :D :( :oops: :? :?
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi , Tony42

We had the same dilemma last year.

My DS passed both the 11+ in Essex and Brentwood entrance exam last year. Liked you, we had saved up the school fee for him to go to Brentwood. After a lot of thoughtful discussion, we (my son. myself and D husband) chose KEGS in the end.

The main reasons are that I believe my son will be happier at KEGS due to the stimulating learning atmosphere and the stong sense of community provided by the school . The teachers at KEGS do stretch and challenge the students (most cases are fun and interesting challenges). IN MY SON'S CASE, KEGS is MORE SUITABLE. Also, the extra curricular activities that KEGS offer have been excellent and really, there is something for everyone. So far, he is doing very well academically and very happy ( making a lot of new friends from various backgrounds and most of his needs have been met). I know we have made the right choice.

Of course, Brentwood is a lovely school and the ground is very impressive. It has lots of lovely facilities and smaller class size. So, I would say it depends on your child's characters and personalities to see which school is more suitable.

Wait until the outcome in March. If there is an offer from KEGS, have all the inputs from each other in the family and then hopefully make the right choice. Good luck!!
Tony42

Essesx_Mum18

Post by Tony42 »

Thanks for your last post, I think what you says makes a lot of sense. There is not anything else to be said or done until we see the outcome of the LA offers - but I feel more able to deal with our dilemma, if it arises, after all the marvellous comments, help and advice that has been given on this site, both private and public and the other threats too.

Whatever happens my son will be going to an amazing school, and I realise that I am very lucky to be saying that, a lot of people are probably in agony waiting the make or break letter from the LA.

Thanks again.
Tony
FLITCH6

Post by FLITCH6 »

Tony42, I have been following your thread, any decisions yet? My son will be starting at Brentwood in September.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now