Results soon!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Post by moved »

Sorry but it doesn't get easier, they are so different. My daughter, the hard worker, (child 2) is much more concerned than her brother, the easy going high achiever, so for me it has been much worse this year. I'm sure it must be easier for some second time around, but who knows?
Chelmsford mum

second time around

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I have found it worse because if she doesn't get in, no amount of parental positive spin will prevent her from drawing unfavourable comparisons with her sister.(who got in) I am dreading that little disappointed face. :cry: She tried so hard.
Wierdly her class teacher asked all the 11+ children to put their hands up and say if they had been tutored or not.She then wrote it all down on a piece of paper which she took out of the classroom.
They don't already know in school - do they? :?:
Horrible,nervous times
moved

Post by moved »

No they don't already know, our school get the results on Tuesday, but we are Southend.
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

I don't think the primary schools know but the Grammars must know now! We had our welcome pack from CCHS on the day after the results were released - surely no one's that efficient!

Luckily for me, my son is very chilled about the whole thing. He knows he did his best on the day & if that wasn't enough then it wasn't meant to be!

Good luck everyone!!
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

The primaries definitely don't know. (I know this because I work in one). I am certain the grammars don't know either because I have friends who work at the grammars and also the child and his/her parents should be the first to know. Results are normally sent to the primaries at some point.

I would certainly agree that it is much harder second time around. Like the previous writer, no matter what I say, I know my son will also compare himself unfavourably with his older brother. He could even get a higher mark than his brother but not get in (if everyone else has done much better too). Also when the oldest one took 11+ there were about 500 applicants for his school, whereas this year I read in the local paper there were 733 applicants for 112 places at Kegs. I'm absolutely dreading it and felt better when the results day was weeks away. We are playing it really cool, and not discussing it at home but I feel so nervous.
Bobble

Post by Bobble »

I was told a few years ago that the grammar schools know just before christmas who has achieved a place. I would think they definitely know a while before the results go out as they have to get the addresses, packs etc ready which are received very quickly after results.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I do agree Bobble. I know of two 11+parent/teachers at Grammars who had known prior to March, their children's results- simply because the Head (of that particular Grammar school) informed them.

I suspect, they were only told because their children were successful. :wink:

Anyhow, not long to go...Good luck everyone! :)
leah

Post by leah »

I know from the CCHS (Colchester girls) e-newsletters that the number of girls sitting the exam last November was around 500 ( up from 450 the previous year), while the Essex admissions booklet states the school had 541 applicants. I know at this stage it is not going to make any difference to us all, however it may be of interest! This is an increase of 10%-20%, depending on which figure is correct. The same Essex CC site also stated that CRGS had 542 applicants, KEGS had 710 and CCHS (Chelmsford) had 679. Useful statistics????????
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

CCHS (Chelmsford ) up from about 640 to 720. :cry: Anyhow its all decided now, has been for a long while , just waiting for the news to be shared with us. Good luck everyone.what a shame it is such a fierce contest to get a good school :(
All the best to all.
leah

Post by leah »

There was a newspaper report today ( in The Telegraph) saying that the competition for grammar school places is the fiercest ever. Here's the 'nub' of it! Parents, particularly upper middle class (!!!!!!!!!!), can spend up to £60 an hour (!!!!!!!!!!!) on tutoring which more commonly now starts with children from the age of 5 (!!!!!!!!!!) and on average the tutoring expense totals £700 (???? doesn't really add up re. tutor fees): it is thought about 20% of 11 + candidates from such families are tutored but only (!!!!!!!!!!) 10% of other candidates.
I know this is off the subject of results but The Telegraph found it topical so I thought I'd mention it. I do realise some people get rattled by such topics however!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now