St John's School Billericay

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
edna

St John's School Billericay

Post by edna »

Hi

I am new to this area and am looking at lots of local schools. I notice that no one has mentioned St John's School in the Stock Road Billericay. Is there anyone out there who can tell me anything about it? I have a lot of schools to look at in a limited time and would appreciate any help at all.

Edna
Gracienick

St John's

Post by Gracienick »

Hi- my daughter is in year 8 at St. John's and really enjoys it. SHe went to our local state school and joined at the beginning of year 7.

It's not competetive to get in although they do take a test and have an interview but it's fairly low key.

They seem to be good with children who have mild special needs such as dyslexia and have quite a good programme for learning support. Bearing that in mind their results are pretty good at GCSE although not going to be at the level that very pushy and competetive schools such as New Hall or Brentwood get. The facilities are not as good as at those schools either but the fees are about £3,000 a year less.

It's not the best resourced school although they are in the middle of a rebuilding project going over about 2 or 3 years which will improve the facilities no end.

There are quite a few clubs at lunch time and after school (sports, drama, band, computer clubs, art, craft, homework (some of which are included in the fees) and music/ dance/ fencing/ speech lessons are available but that will cost extra.

Most of the teaching seems very good from what I have seen. The maths, English, Science and French teachers seem particularly good. ICT is not great but this should improve when the new build is completed.

Discipline is very good and the classes quite small. My daughter has around 14 in her form (with another form of about 17) and for Maths and English they are split into three sets so that takes the numbers down further which is particularly beneficial for those children who need extra help. In year 8 they are also split into three sets for Science.

It's a small family oriented school where every one knows everyone. They often have assemblies for the whole school (from 3-16) which helps to foster the family feel. The all numbers can be a problem as if your child doesn't get on with someone their are less choices for friends but at the same time it forces them to get on with others who they would normally avoid. Bullying is VERY quickly stampled on when reported and the pastoral care is very good.

Hope that helps!
alliePop

Post by alliePop »

I live in Billericay and I know a few students there,

There uniforms are quite....uhem "horrible" but they have a good school
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now