Westcliff High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chardan

Westcliff High School for Girls

Post by Chardan »

A little early I know - but:

If you are reading this post after offer day then I would guess that your DD has been offered a place at WHSG - Congratulations - a great achievement!

My Daughter is now midway through Year 7 and is very happy. But we both remember all of the questions we had this time last year. Everything from Transport (We are out of catchment) to Induction days.

Feel free to post - there are other like minded parents here who are happy to help.
adam.sh

Thanks!

Post by adam.sh »

Hi Chardan,

Just found out this morning that dd has a place at Westcliff. Mighty chuffed of course!

No doubt queries will arise as it all sinks in so am sure will be taking you up on your kind offer at some point.

Cheers!
alliePop

Post by alliePop »

Ughh, your lucky Adam!

Hey, you live in billericay! Me too :lol:

Does your DD go to Buttsbury? If she does I'll know her :):)
chickensmum

Question time!

Post by chickensmum »

Hi Chardan,

Thanks for the offer of being open to questions. I'm sure many more questions will follow in time but for now, here goes:

What is the mobile phone policy? I have assured my daughter that she would be able to take a mobile phone with her as we'd like to keep in touch should there be any problems with the bus etc.. Do the girls then put the phones in their lockers?

Do you know when they will be put in touch with their 'Sister'? I am hoping it's before they start, but am not sure.javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

Will parents have another opportunity to visit the school before the girls begin?

I would happily take on board any information you & your daughter are able to give.

Many thanks!
Chardan

Post by Chardan »

Hello Chickensmum and Congratulations to your daughter!!

The girls are allowed to have mobile phones with them, but they have to be switched off during the school day. This is strictly imposed by the staff. My daughter keeps her phone on her in her blazer, but could leave it in her locker.

They were in touch with their sisters within the first couple of weeks of the term - later than I had thought. I think by the time they met, the girls had already started to form friendships of their own.

We didn't have another real opportunity to look around the school again, but as my daughter helped out on the tours for prospective children in September, I sneaked in then!!!

We felt that the induction was handled really well - each girl is visited at their Primary school by a member of the Pastoral care team - a nice touch. The two induction days are really good as well.

Please feel free to send me a PM or post on here again if there is anything else you think we can help with.

Kind Regards
Another worried Mum

Post by Another worried Mum »

Congratulations too!

We were in the same place as you last year. I see that Adam.Sh also lives in the Billericay area (we do too!)

A suggestion for you...

Chardan and I linked up last year via this forum - and also linked up with another mum from the forum - which seems so much quieter this year :cry: . We met up with our girls (and a couple of others we individually knew) before they went for the induction day, and again in the summer holidays. :D

If your daughter is the only one from her school, or even if she only knows one or two others who are off to WHSG, then meeting someone before the first induction day means that they have at least one familiar face when they get there! Meeting in a group means they can start to get to know more and more faces, which I really feels helped with the transition and settling in. :?

You will also get the opportunity to let the school know if they would like to be in the same form as another girl, so early meetings can be helpful.

I would say though, that I was really happy with the way that the transition from primary to WHSG was handled by the school. After the two induction days, DD knew all of the names of the girls in her class; they had done some sample lessons; been shown the ropes in the canteen; had a fun PE session; got to know their Form Tutor; and had some discussions around bullying. Parents are also invited to an afternoon session on one of the Induction days, so you will get more information then too! [I compare this to a friend who's DD went to Billericay school - had a 1 day induction with no parent meeting - and came home not knowing the name of any single person in her class, because they had not been given the time or the chance to find out! As the only child from her former primary transferring there, this was not the best of experiences!]

If your girls would like to meet up with some current Year 7, or even just have a chat on MSN to ask any questions at all, just PM me! There are at least seven or eight of them within Billericay, and I am sure that they would be only too happy to give their perspective!
Chardan

Post by Chardan »

Hi

I am Chardan's Daughter. I am half way through year seven. I just wanted to say that as being the only person coming from my school i found this forum great. I met up with 4 different girls, 3 of which are in my form now. First of all you want to stay with who you know but as you get used to it you find your friend circles. Or form is really happy (but a bit on the talkitive side which is winding the teachers up a bit now) we all get on really well.

If anyone has any queries i would be happy to answer them and maybe I might see you in school in september.
chickensmum

Thanks ladies

Post by chickensmum »

Chardan (and daughter!) and Another Worried Mum,

Thanks for the hints & tips. I'll certainly try to get my daughter together with some other WHSG girls in the near future, it sounds like it will help.
Thanks again,

:lol:
snouty

Post by snouty »

hi, very late i know, but as this is my dd2 at westcliff - i must admit to be a lot more relaxed. saying that my dd2 is the only one going from her primary and will know no others. i think i have already posted a reply to coffee next friday - which would be lovely for her, my eldest dd is in year 8 , so i can also help if anyone has any questions.
until then...happy easter and well done to your dd's.