Post by leels2706 »

My DS wanted KEGS but got 2nd choice CRGS. His scores were -

33/50 Eng
26/40 Maths
66/80 VR

Score 347.004

Position 106/493 CRGS
180/740 KEGS

Does anyone have any idea of our chances of moving up the list to get KEGS or any advice on what to do next?

Thanks.
adam.sh

Post by adam.sh »

Hi Leels,

I have a similar position with regard to dd. She has a place at Westcliff (absolutely fantastic I hasten to add) but I don't know how close she came to getting a place at Chelmsford which was her first choice. So here is my uninformed opinion. What matters is not so much where they are on the ranked list as sent out by the CSSE, but more where they are in relation to the last child to be allocated a place at their first choice school as a number of children on the ranked list will have had your choice as second and therefore won't feature on the 'real' list. Make sense?

I think the only way to find out for sure is to get in touch with the LEA (not the CSSE) and ask where they are. That's certainly what I will be doing before we start making any firm arrangements with regard to her attending Westcliff.

But regardless, I must place on record how totally proud we are of dd for doing well enough to get a place at any of the grammar schools. Certainly not something that me or her Mum ever achieved!

Hope things work out for you either way.
Vazuthi

Post by Vazuthi »

My DD have got
32/50 English
38/40 Maths
68/80 Verbal

Score 369.9
Rank 48/741 for CGHS
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I imagine numbers are meaningless until people start refusing offers. (As most people put KEGS first as it's hardest to get into, I doubt that you'll lose many from the list as second choices). My son is 186 on the KEGS ranked list, I can't see 70 people not taking up places, so I am resigned to thinking, on the day, for whatever reason, he wasn't KEGS standard, and hoping that he'll be happy, and a 'better fit' at SHSB. In a way, to know he was way off is a comfort; we can concentrate on where he is going now, rather than where he could have gone. :wink:

Rachel
adam.sh

Post by adam.sh »

Just spoke to ECC. Thay said that waiting list info won't be available until next week so should call back then.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Ranked 180th or 186th is not 70 places away from a place at Kegs. Although there are only 112 places, children ranked much lower than this get places on offer day. This is because if you put Colchester first and Kegs second, and you get a place at Colchester which you accept, you still get a ranking for Kegs eg 112th, but your place goes to the next person who may be 113th but get a place. (Hope this makes sense). I know someone who was 160th for CCHS where there are 120 places. She was 6th on waiting list for a place and got offered a place in April a couple of years ago. My son was 151st for Kegs a few years ago, but 2nd on waiting list and subsequently got a place. I think 180th is too far away, but it may be interesting to see where you are on the waiting list when that info becomes available.
leels2706

Waiting lists

Post by leels2706 »

Thanks for all the replies. I will phone ECC next week to see where DS is on the list & persevere until I get a definite no!

Well done to all the children who took the exam. They're made of stronger stuff than me!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now