What score did you need for kegs 2006?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tommy

What score did you need for kegs 2006?

Post by Tommy »

I have heard that you need a very high score to get into kegs, higher than the girls schools. Can anyone confirm last years scores? Thanks

Re: What score did you need for kegs 2006?

Post by Guest »

Tommy wrote:I have heard that you need a very high score to get into kegs, higher than the girls schools. Can anyone confirm last years scores? Thanks

Last year, you didn't need to score as high for KEGS as Chelmsford County High nor Colchester Grammar schools if that helps.

Post by Guest »

Consensus over the years has been that about 85% or better gets you into Kegs. Hope this helps.
Karen

What score for KEGS?

Post by Karen »

If it's 85% pass rate as mentioned for KEGS, is that the raw score over the three tests, giving 50% to VR and the other between Maths and English?

Post by Guest »

Hi Karen,

I agree with the earlier poster. Having been through the 11+ 3 times over the last 6 years, including having a son a Kegs, consensus is that 85% or above gets you into Kegs and 82/83%+ into County High. This number does not equate to the the score the consortium give you, such as 371 but is a rough guide taken from the raw scores that your child achived in each of the papers. So for instance,

The percentage is calulcated as the sum of:

Maths (30/40) * 0.25
English (30/40) * 0.25
VR (67/90) * 0.50

The Consortium use some complex Maths to calculate a "normalised" score for your child but say you took your childs raw scores and worked out the percentage he or she achived in each paper and then an average overall, remembering to give VR a 50% weighting and Maths and English only 25% and the mark came out as 75%, the "normalised" score you get from the consortoim will be very close to 300 out of a possible 400.

It is harder to get into the Royal Grammar School becuase becuase there are only 96 places as opposed to 112 at Kegs. I believe that it's generally agreed that in terms of academic performance at GCSE, there is nothing between the schools. Do be aware that the Royal Grammar in Colchester does perform better at A level but this is in part achieved by "culling" a large number of boys after the GSCEs and offering their places up for competion, particularly to overseas pupils. If your child comes very high up the order of merit in the 11+ for Colchester, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. On the other hand, if you expect hem to get in but finish in the lower quartile of entrants, I'd be concerend.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thanks for your explanation. I suppose it can depend on the quality of candidates as well. My older son sat the 11+ in Jan 2004 (the last one before the system changed for Essex) and did ok, but not high enough to be offered a place at Grammar school. However, he's in the gifted and talented programme at his secondary school and is also a member of NAGTY!

My younger son will sit the test soon and is hoping for a place at KEGS. Judging from what you've said about the scores, he should be ok if he performs to the same level on the actual test? (90%+ in Maths and VR and 85% English). :?

Post by Guest »

Hi Karen,

90% on Maths and VR and 85% in English, I can say confidently would not only give a place at Kegs, it would give a high finish, certainly into the top half.

I can't be certain, but having spoken to several tutors and many other parents over the years, most children will perform slightly under what they have been averaging in past papers when it comes to the real thing. Usually 2 - 5%. But with the numbers you have mentioned, your son still has a good margin for error.

Best of luck to your lad and I hope he gets it.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thanks. Yes, he is trying to get as best a score he can "at home" because we appreciate that on the day there will be a drop in score due to nerves, etc. I guessed that there would be about a 5% drop. I must say, I'm glad I came across this forum because it helps to "talk" to other parents/experts. Wish I'd found it first time round! :)
priya

Post by priya »

my daughter born in 1997 may. when she can apply for the 11 plus exam?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Hi Karen,

I agree with the earlier poster. Having been through the 11+ 3 times over the last 6 years, including having a son a Kegs, consensus is that 85% or above gets you into Kegs and 82/83%+ into County High. This number does not equate to the the score the consortium give you, such as 371 but is a rough guide taken from the raw scores that your child achived in each of the papers. So for instance,

The percentage is calulcated as the sum of:

Maths (30/40) * 0.25
English (30/40) * 0.25
VR (67/90) * 0.50

The Consortium use some complex Maths to calculate a "normalised" score for your child but say you took your childs raw scores and worked out the percentage he or she achived in each paper and then an average overall, remembering to give VR a 50% weighting and Maths and English only 25% and the mark came out as 75%, the "normalised" score you get from the consortoim will be very close to 300 out of a possible 400.

It is harder to get into the Royal Grammar School becuase becuase there are only 96 places as opposed to 112 at Kegs. I believe that it's generally agreed that in terms of academic performance at GCSE, there is nothing between the schools. Do be aware that the Royal Grammar in Colchester does perform better at A level but this is in part achieved by "culling" a large number of boys after the GSCEs and offering their places up for competion, particularly to overseas pupils. If your child comes very high up the order of merit in the 11+ for Colchester, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. On the other hand, if you expect hem to get in but finish in the lower quartile of entrants, I'd be concerend.

Not sure I agree with the last comment. I know children that have got into the grammars just (i.e. maybe in the last 10 positions) and they went on to be very successful. What we have to remember here is that a lot of children a tutored purely for the 11+ - yes, they have to be relatively bright to get through but it doesn't mean that if they come high in position in the 11+ they will be in the same position in the school. I know one girl that got in on appeal and ended up being 4th in the year at the end of year exams and I am sure she is not an exceptional case. There are many more subjects for the children to cope with than what is tutored for the 11+.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now