Bus from Woodford / Ilford to Southend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fstary

Bus from Woodford / Ilford to Southend

Post by fstary »

My son starts at SHSB in Southend this September. Long term we hope to move there but there's no guarantee with the housing market as it is. He could potentially get the train from Stratford but I would rather he travelled with other children. Does anyone know of any shared arrangements / private bus services?

Many thanks
dandy

Re: Bus from Woodford / Ilford to Southend

Post by dandy »

fstary wrote:My son starts at SHSB in Southend this September. Long term we hope to move there but there's no guarantee with the housing market as it is. He could potentially get the train from Stratford but I would rather he travelled with other children. Does anyone know of any shared arrangements / private bus services?

Many thanks
Hi fstary did you manage to find out about bus routes from Ilford to Southend? Is there any going to SHSG? Please let me know.
fstary

Post by fstary »

Hi

If you contact a company called Maymist in Barking (info@maymist.com), I think they run a coach. We decided against the Southend option in the end - it was just too much travelling and moving there simply wasn't feasible.
dandy

Post by dandy »

fstary wrote:Hi

If you contact a company called Maymist in Barking (info@maymist.com), I think they run a coach. We decided against the Southend option in the end - it was just too much travelling and moving there simply wasn't feasible.
Thanks for getting back to me, sorry you decided against Southend but there is always the option of taking the train.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I have an older son at SHSB and a son just about to start in September. We are out of borough and although all the grammars in Essex are great we put SHSB as top of our list - it is a fantastic school and well worth the travelling involved. There is a steady steam of boys heading from the school to the station every evening and the train from Southend carries a lot of 'Green Jackets' (they tend to stick together in the same carriage) and I think one of the boys in my older son's class travels to Ilford. It is very daunting when they are 11 year old boys but time passes very quickly and they very soon become young men. Good luck! My husband has just informed me that he has seen a couple of SHSB boys get off at Stratford when he has been travelling home from work. :D :D :D
Last edited by Fran17 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
dandy

Post by dandy »

Hello Fran17, thank you for your reply. Its reassuring to know that children travel from the Redbridge area and further and that they tend to stick together. However it is more worrying when you have a girl travelling to the Southend grammar school. Do you know of many girls travelling on the trains as well as the boys? Especially on the way back home from school in the evenings?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi dandy, I know lots of girls travel on the train as they stopped some of the buses which took pupils to SHSG. I have several friends with daughters who go to SHSG and know that girls of all ages travel together to the train station. I will ask them if they know of any girls who travel to the Redbridge area. Am keeping my fingers crossed for you as it is all such a worry. Will post a reply asap. :) :)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi again dandy a friend has come back to say she knows of one girl who travels to Barking and she said she will try to find out if there are any more. SHSB provide parents, who are willing to share their information, with a list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of out of borough boys in your son's year. Have you tried ringing SHSG to enquire if there are any girls travelling from your area - I am sure they will be sympathetic. :D
dandy

Post by dandy »

Fran17 wrote:Hi again dandy a friend has come back to say she knows of one girl who travels to Barking and she said she will try to find out if there are any more. SHSB provide parents, who are willing to share their information, with a list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of out of borough boys in your son's year. Have you tried ringing SHSG to enquire if there are any girls travelling from your area - I am sure they will be sympathetic. :D
Thank you Fran17, its very kind of you to go to so much trouble for me. I feel so much better after all the encouragement you have given me. :D I will give SHSG a call to find out if there are other girls travelling to Barking. The school is probably closed until next week. I will let you know how I get on. :)
worriedmum

Post by worriedmum »

Hi i have a child who travels by train to southend.
i find the train is better and quicker and heard that cloach is often late so children get to school late.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now