Chelmsford County High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KM

Chelmsford County High School for Girls

Post by KM »

Hello all. Congratulations if your dd got offered a place at CCHS. My dd is in Y7 and I'd be happy to (try!) and answer any questions you may have. Somebody did this for us last year and I found it extremely helpful.
moved

Post by moved »

Did she do the netball/hockey evenings. Did it help her make friends?
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

I thought I'd also chip in! My DD found the hockey and netball hugely enjoyable and it was good for meeting lots of the girls. We also organised a couple of picnics which we extended invites through word of mouth and posts on this forum. This was a really good way to meet other Mums and their daughters.

Don't worry though because the girls all seem to mix really well within their assigned classes.

My DD absolutely loves it there!
KM

Post by KM »

Hello moving. Yes my dd did the hockey and netball courses and really enjoyed them. She is not hugely sporty but it was invaluable in helping to make new friends and also in getting used to be at the school and starting to think of it as "her" school. She has made loads of friends since actually starting at the school but it was helpful to have a few faces that she was familiar with already before she started in September, especially as she was the only one from her school to go to CCHS.
KM

Post by KM »

( Quick aside to Silver - sorry you didn't get the result you wanted for your son. I have my fingers-crossed for Westcliff for you. My nephew is in Y13 at Westcliff and he has loved it and done very well there. Right - back to the thread!)
bobbly

Post by bobbly »

KM wrote:( Quick aside to Silver - sorry you didn't get the result you wanted for your son. I have my fingers-crossed for Westcliff for you. My nephew is in Y13 at Westcliff and he has loved it and done very well there. Right - back to the thread!)

I second the above about Westcliff. My son is now at university but loved every minute of his time at Westcliff and made life long friends there. It is strict but fair - boys need this! Good luck to your son.

My daughter is in year 9 at CCHS and absolutely loves it. It has been great for her and I am hoping she does very well there. She didn't know anyone when she joined but it seems to be very friendly there and she had no problems making friends. I do find that the homework is quite light a lot of the time (which of course is the opposite to what I was told when she first got in there but mostly from parents who had no experience of the school!) but the girls seems to do well in any case. Good luck to everyone!
moved

Post by moved »

This is probably blindingly obvious, but how does the buddy system work?

Do many girls come from far away?
I've been looking for houses in Chelmsford as I would love my two to be able to walk to school, but nothing seems to be moving here.
KM

Post by KM »

Each of the new girls are paired up with a current Y7 girl who will become their "buddy". Some time over the next couple of months your daughter will get a letter from her buddy telling her all about the school and if your daughter wants to she can send a reply. When my daughter got her letter from her buddy last year the girl had very kindly put in her email address and said that if dd had any questions then she could email her.
On induction day your daughter will meet her buddy and they will have tea together. The parents join the induction day after the girls have had tea and then your daughter's buddy will take you on a tour of the school. I think they also meet up with their buddy on the first day of term in September.

A lot of the girls do come from outside of Chelmsford. I don't think there are many of them who live within walking distance of the school. We live in Chelmsford and due to the bus timetable dd still has to get a bus at 7.50 and is at school by 8.15. Come to think of it she has taken it upon herself to walk a couple of times with a Y10 girl who lives near us but it took them a good 50 minutes!!
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks KM, between the two threads I have managed to reassure her that she will have a great time. She has been reading with great interest, particularly the fact that everyone's daughters seem so happy. She will go to the netball and the hockey.

Her final question for any experienced mums/girls is how much cross-country and swimming do they do? She runs at county level, but we can continue both of these through a club. I realise there is a pool, but are there regular training sessions for teams etc.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

There are swim teams to try out for pretty early on in first two weeks.(on sports noticeboard) They swim for half a term each year.There is a cross country club once a week and they take part in competitions.They do a little cross country during p.e, again about half a term a year.
My daughterin year 8, found prioritising the hardest thing.In year 7 she joined everything! Not quite - but cross country , gymnastics, drama club, athletics, choir, flute choir and orchestra.There were other things she wanted to join but too many clashes.Any way lack of food at lunchtime became a problem, she became faint several times and so gave up a couple of clubs to eat a proper lunch.
Year eight, she is in the gym team , girls football club and orchestra.With the regular house events, it is enough.Nearly all clubs at cchs are at lunchtime as so many girls come a distance and need to get a consortium bus.Hope all that helps.