So...how did it go ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sunshine 11

Re: So...how did it go ?

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Post made me giggle Tinny. My DS is 2016 too. We'll be fountains of knowledge by then :wink: Yes flash RP is Richard Pates. Will be fascinating to find out how many qualify as usually most who sit from there get a GS place as they prep for about a year before, but will the new test throw a big spanner in the works .......
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Flash wrote:Hi DebsB. Just to clarify, the 15 above girls weren't all from her class and include girls she knows from other Cheltenham schools. 2/3 to 3/4 of her class probably sat the test. The school don't prepare the children for it.
Thanks for explaining, Flash. :)
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Interesting flash so would support my point as not that many Chelts would perhaps consider the some of the grammars further away for them. Those are quite small nos from Chelt at HSFG ! Quite a few Pates sitters will be those wanting to use their result as a bargaining chip for academic scholarship. Happens every yr and so many good private schools in Chelt, it's inevitable !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sunshine 11 wrote: Quite a few Pates sitters will be those wanting to use their result as a bargaining chip for academic scholarship. Happens every yr and so many good private schools in Chelt, it's inevitable !
I wonder if that is an urban myth? It is mentioned every year but I have never come across anyone who has actually done this. It's not as if an academic scholarship gives you a major discount these days. Some kids who get into Pates do actually choose to go elsewhere - I do know 3 people off the top of my head who have made that choice and both my sons have children in their year who got into Pates and chose STRS.

And a lot of Cheltenham kids go to one of the 4 Gloucester grammars as well as some brave souls hacking down to Stroud too.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Sunshine 11 wrote:Interesting flash so would support my point as not that many Chelts would perhaps consider the some of the grammars further away for them. Those are quite small nos from Chelt at HSFG ! Quite a few Pates sitters will be those wanting to use their result as a bargaining chip for academic scholarship. Happens every yr and so many good private schools in Chelt, it's inevitable !
These are only the children dd knows so I thought that was quite a lot! :? And she has met quite a few more from Cheltenham there. I wasn't saying there are 15 from Cheltenham at HSFG in total. :)

Anyway my initial point was that children don't always sit the exam at their preferred school so it is very hard to gauge popularity. Dd sat it at Pates because it was convenient and with friends but it wasn't necessarily our no. 1 choice!
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

My experience of Cheltenham Indie schools is that they couldn't care less what results applicants have got in the GS exam. They set their own exam, mark it, possibly interview the children (although I don't actually know about that bit) and then make their offers as they see fit.

I have met several parents who think a good GS score will be a bargaining chip, though.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

We all expected it to be so incredibly difficult and were initially relieved when they all came out saying it was okay. Now we are all worrying that it was too easy and if everyone does well, only those who did extremely well stand a chance!

Wish I had your problem :) . DS came out saying he didn't think he had done very well!
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Re the scholarship, yes I know someone who did this for both their children and did indeed achieve considerable academic scholarships, so don't think it's a myth ! I don't think it's the sort of thing parents own up to doing though. It must be sooooo difficult for the school to decide how many to put as qualifying rank so as not to disappoint too many on allocation day yet to fill the schools.

So glad we didn't sit at Pates as it sounded busy, busy, busy !!

I met a lady on exam day from London who's daughter was sitting different test for grammars in 3 different counties so there is quite a lot of "test tourism", I think they call it.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know what % of those who receive offers actually drop out and go elsewhere, there must be quite a lot as so many get places on reconsideration, and there are still appeal places and places for late sitters ! anyone know any stats ?

Still haven't heard from any Ribston or Crypt sitters on their numbers....... :?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
chumba

Post by chumba »

Well, DD sat at Ribston, with at least 6 others she knew from Cheltenham.

Our first choice would be Pates, but wanted to avoid the crowds and second choice is currently Ribston, which is why she sat the test there. Ribston is hopefully achievable. I'm fairly certain that a large number of children taking the test from Cheltenham would go to Pates if they could, regardless of where they sat the test. No idea how many were there, but they filled the hall when we went in to collect them! If I had to guess, would say about 200 children were there, but I was really only focused on my daughter, so I'd use that guess with caution!

I'm not sure how easy it was. DD came out saying it was hard, but on reflection I think she found the process hard, but the actual test easier than I had prepared her for. On flicking through some practice papers afterwards she kept saying it was easier than that one, easier than that one, easier than that one........ I will be going through the whole process again in 2016, so wanted to know how best to help next DD. Still feel a bit unsure what I did that helped her to prepare, but I think it all comes down to the usual reading and practising maths and times tables. Now where have I heard that before ?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Chumba I know what you mean about flicking through papers. My boy sat at the weekend and my daughter probably will next year. So far I've resisted the temptation for a full discussion if contents, but in think I will have to soon. Just enjoying the break for now.