Question for existing Pate's parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Skip

Question for existing Pate's parents

Post by Skip »

My DD unexpectedly passed for Pates which has left me with a dilemma. I have heard good and bad things about Pates and it's difficult to get past the reputation. I would be grateful if any existing parents would share their views on the school especially in terms of how much work the kids do, levels of homework etc. My concern is it may be a shock to go from being one of the more able academically in their class to going to a school where everyone has a similar or better ability. I want to keep their self assurance intact!
Cup of tea

Re: Question for existing Pate's parents

Post by Cup of tea »

Skip wrote:My DD unexpectedly passed for Pates which has left me with a dilemma. I have heard good and bad things about Pates and it's difficult to get past the reputation. I would be grateful if any existing parents would share their views on the school especially in terms of how much work the kids do, levels of homework etc. My concern is it may be a shock to go from being one of the more able academically in their class to going to a school where everyone has a similar or better ability. I want to keep their self assurance intact!
Congrats! I would say there is still a fairly wide ability range, and often kids have their own niche or speciality e,g. whizz at maths, may find English more challenging.
With regards to homework, I don't think there's too much (often mine have days when there's none set) and each student will take as much (or little) time as they need.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

My experience has been good. DD settled more quickly than DS did at Pate's, but that might be more a gender thing. It seems that they receive less homework than other grammars, but that is only hearsay, I don't have personal experience to share. Both DCs very happy, love the house system and competitions. The only issue we had early on with DD was sorted as soon as we spoke to her tutor. Have found it to be a very supportive and friendly school and the students generate a good atmosphere. Good interaction between senior students and new students, especially in house music - and best of all house drama!

Yes, it is an outstanding school academically, but Pate's is more than just grades. Take your DC back for another visit if possible, as they often can tell intuitively if it is the right school for them. Also, take into account travel and ease of travel and ability to join in after school activities (if not bus dependent).

Also, do you want them to be in a mixed or single sex environment? Something else to consider.

All the best in your discerning process :D
Tourist

Post by Tourist »

My two children have been very happy at Pates. Although they are expected to work hard, they also spend a great deal of time off-timetable doing interesting extra-curricular things. We have found the school to be extremely supportive and caring.

Both of mine are very different but each has found their niche at Pates. Neither are in the top third of the school and occasionally, this has led to a feeling that they are not "good" at a particular subject. My thoughts on this though are that I don't necessarily want them to feel good at everything they do - I want them to realise that there is more reward in hard work than natural ability. Most parents with children at Pates would say that it is not necessarily the school that pushes them to achieve, they do that to each other and this does make for a very stimulating learning environment.

The school isn't perfect but no school is. Obviously, we also only have our experience to go on and others may see it differently. I would choose Pates again in a heartbeat but, more importantly, so would both of mine. They actually think that school is fun!
Skip

Post by Skip »

Thank you for your replies. We went to the Open Day today and DD really likes it and currently their preferred school. Still have two more Open Days at other schools before we make the final selection but great to have some views from existing Pates parents. Thank you.
wileycoyote

Post by wileycoyote »

Can any existing Pate's parents enlighten me about the relative number of boys and girls in each year please?
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

It varies year to year. Y10 and 11 seems to be about 50:50. I know that one of the years recently (I think the current y8) was boy heavy. I'm sure the school would tell you if you phoned and asked.
wileycoyote

Post by wileycoyote »

Thanks. Particularly interested due to Crypt taking girls and planning on admitting 150 top children, wondering if it will fall out to be 50:50 or if Pate's work it that way?
GL2Mum

Post by GL2Mum »

I think Pates generally come out at Y7 as boy heavy, although not by much (60:40) and would expect Crypt to be similar when it goes co-ed - anything I've read about 11+ performance has said boys generally perform slightly better than girls overall (although I don't know if this is skewed by eg if more boys than girls enter for the test in the first place)
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

It is a fairly even spread in the upper years, but year 7&8 (who took the CEM test) are boy heavy, 2/3rd boys 1/3rd girls.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now