pass mark fro pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

Post by Milla »

Wow, I don't know whether to be encouraged, or go and thwack my boy on the back of his legs with a wooden spoon!
How do you know where you came? By which I mean where she came. I thought it was a jealously guarded secret for "pastoral reasons"
magwich2

pass mark for pates

Post by magwich2 »

I have sent you a PM Milla
mum3

Post by mum3 »

That's very interesting, Magwich, about your daughter. My son missed some out too and is currently residing at Pate's. I also know of at least one other child who didn't finish paper and was offered a place.

The trouble is there is such a lot of secrecy between parents about how their children are doing in the practice tests etc.

For what it is worth for the original poster to this thread, all three of mine who have taken the grammar school tests were scoring in the high 80s and 90s in the practice tests before the actual one. They all had different experiences when taking the actual test. One found it easyish and reckoned got everything right(!), one very nervous, one quite unfazed but did miss questions out (much to my horror). They were all successful in getting a grammar school place.

I imagine in the actual test, the children on average gain a lower score than they do in the practice tests, unless you are lucky like one of mine and happened to get all their 'favourite' types of questions. Plus each year's cohort is differs in raw ability. So a 'pass' one year may equate to a 'fail' another year! It's all very stressful and a bit of a lottery in the end I would think. Hope this helps.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Glos-mum you had gone AWOL so it was nice to see your post :) .

I your example highlights the problems with just aiming for Pates. Thing is it isn't about how many you answer it is about getting the answers right with very little margin for silly mistakes. Careless children are often the ones who will complete the whole paper but a couple wrong here and there answered in haste will add up to more than one section of a carefully completed paper.

Like mum3 says there is a bit of a lottery element in it at that level so best keep your options open.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Pates' has a good reputation...and some interesting ex-pupils

;0)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now