writing on the paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

No the the county controlled schools, Tommies and Denmark sent the score for both papers out after they had been allocated a place atomatically. I can't see why they wait till then seems rather silly as it means we have to tick the Pates box just to get some idea of their score even though we don't want a place there.

Last year DS scored 237 for Pates and that resulted in a 233 for Tommies so slightly lower but I think Pates work out their standardisation in a way that puts the 160th passer at 240.
Milla

Post by Milla »

very interesting. That will be interesting to know (should he pass, fingers CROSSED!!!) since it wasn't the case for us. I had heard, possibly erroneously, that the get-in mark for Pates had gone up to 250 this year. Yet more children got in from our school than normal so what do I know?
I'd've assumed that the Pates mark would be lower, with a higher-achieving cohort, than the Tommy's. I say higher-achieving, I think about 10 boys in DS1's year at Tommy's passed for Pates, but chose Tommy's, hence all the movement in lists caused, in part, like you say, by Pates being the only ones to supply a mark against which one can attempt to judge your chances.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Glos-mums son got the magic 240 and was no 160 so that's how I know they fix the standardisation to fit in with 160 passing. Of course the raw scores may well go up and down from year to year.

Crypt also give a score but I wasn't sure how to compare that one as it is in the 100's. Also I was working on the premise that the closer the score was to a Pates pass the more certain DS1 was of a place at Tommies. I never expected him to pass for Pates but I was genuinely suprised how close he got to the pass mark, considering he had no professional tutoring and the issues concerning his early education. Possibly it is why I am being so blase about DS2 and that may well come back and bite me on the bottom, me fears.

It makes me think that these test must be more tutor proof than we think and that on the whole genuinly bright children can pass with some prep work. There will be those who mess up on the day and under perform but hopefully that can be sorted through appeal.

The biggest problem is that many parents in those situations don't appeal. I know of two who thought a fail, by one mark in one case, mean't their children wouldn't cope because that is the old chestnut that many are fed. Both children would have suited a Grammar education but had done very little preparation because their parents were ignorant of the system.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Tolstoy wrote:I was genuinely suprised how close he got to the pass mark, considering he had no professional tutoring and the issues concerning his early education. .
Yes, but you're no slouch, Tolstoy, and am, I'm sure, more than a match for a professional tutor. You have been so organised and prepared and calm and with FOUR children!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Was not so last year hadn't even found the site at this point and was panicking after being told by our head that DS1 would need a tutor. At that point I knew nothing.

We only really got it together in September when I managed to bribe DS2 into amusing DS's 3 and 4 whilst I did half an hours work with DS1 and having found this site finally knew what was going on.

I am relying on that last minute success being repeated as having got off to a good start with DS2 and covered all 21 necessary types ( covered far too much unnecessary stuff last year) things have gone woefully array and we have only managed to get two 10 minute practice papers done and no 50 mins as his timing is way off.

Looks like plans to shut up shop for the summer hols may have to be abandoned :( .