New to 11+ Moving

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stripes

New to 11+ Moving

Post by Stripes »

Have just found out we will be moving to Gloucestershire.

Currently we are in an area that does not have the 11 plus or grammar schools so have spent the weekend scaring myself stupid about all the options. We have very little time to help our daughter prepare. She is about to start yr 6 in September.

We had been preparing to start some extra practice for STATS in May, now we need to look at VR papers for November- quite different.

Does anyone have any idea how STATS levels compare to 11 plus scores?

What would people recommend with such little time? How do we find a tutor? Do we need one?

Where on earth do I start!!! HELP
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

If your DD had level 3's in her key stage 2 Sats then personally I would say she is Grammar standard. If she did optional SAts this year and got 4b/a's and 5's then also go for it. Frankly though if you personally think she is in the top 40% then she should be grammar material. This is what we were told by the head of one of the Gloucester Grammars,

Read the sticky at the top of this section for info on the 11+. Then use the tutors free download for the 21 question types.

You will need to get the GL pack of four sample tests 11a,b,c &d, as they are produced by NfeR who set the tests.

I would suggest the 15 minute Tutor's level 3's initially as I found a week of them got my DS2 up to speed with the timing and I will continue to use them when he goes back to school in September.

Then use the full tests c 50 mins. Relevant ones are the Tutors full tests multiple choice, Susan Daughtry 2 x packs of 4 multiple choice and Walsh, 2 books with 4 tests in each. All these are available from this site. Just go to the books shop and E-papers sections.

Don't panic if your DD is grammar material then with info from this site you have plenty of time to get her ready. I didn't use a tutor with DS1 last year and he passed so am happy to DIY with DS2 this year. If you do want one there are people on the site who can suggest some.

p.s forgot this one. Many schools do CATs tests on their pupils y4 or/and y5 so if your daughter has a CATS score above 112 then that means she is above average ability so suitable for a grammar.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now