ONE WEEK TO GO!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

susiesue wrote:On another note, just wanted to say that I am a little disappointed with the lack of help and guidance regarding 11+ from the school. Not once has 11+ been mentioned. It's like we've been left to find out all the information by ourselves. We had results from a vr test they did earlier in the year, and when we asked about what the scores meant, all we were told was that 'the average is 100'! I am lucky that I have had a neice and a nephew who went through the process, and especially this forum! There's been so much good advice and information, I don't know where I'd be without it! So keep up the good work Gloucestershire Mums and Dads!! :D
Tell me about it. My son is sitting at Tommies. He only joined this primary school in January so hasn't quite been there a year. When he joined I told the head that he would be sitting the 11+ and she said that there would be no preparation time in school and it was up to me.

Met his year 6 teacher in September and made her aware that he was sitting 11+ and she just smiled and asked if I would be happy with comprehesive!!! At parent's eveing a few weeks ago reminded her that he was taking exam and also sitting entrance exam for an independent in Feb. Again she said "but will you be happy with comprehensive if it doesn't all go to plan?" Obviously I won't be "happy" with comprehesive - I wouldn't out myself through all this stress if I had a fantastic comprehesive on my doorstep :roll:

All our primary schools just push the comp here and there is no encouragement at all for the children to try anywhere else. 2 out of 30 sitting from my son's class - other 1 also a boy, going for Pates and top of the class in everything. On the gifted and talented register too!
Milla

Post by Milla »

It's dispiriting, isn't it, PW, and good for you for giving it a go despite so little encouragement and in a new place, too.

We get acknowledgement, in the form of one meeting in September regarding secondary transfer. But that was scheduled against one of the Pate's open evenings which sort of told us all we needed to know. We received our booklet with all the schools' info on Weds which was kind of late, too.

If I hadn't been "in the know" already because of friends with older children (when we did it before with DS1) and now this site (DS2) this meeting would have given me NO idea of what is really involved. Likewise, frankly, the 9 little sample questions sent with the Tommy's "what to do on the 7th" bumpf. Totally disingenuous.

We get our parents' evening the week after next, just before the results. Will I be able to concentrate? Doubt it. :lol: :lol:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

We did get the book last year but this year you either had to download it or request it. I am sure there is an enviroment and cost issue that they are addressing but of course it means less information for parents.

Added to that we do not have a transfer meeting or the choice advisor that some schools are seeing. Therefore you would have to be a very informed type of person to realise the the Grammar school option is available for all.

Also at the end of the summer term the y5's had a taster day at the local comprehensive. Thankfully DS2 already knew where he wanted to go because we had done the open days with his older brother but had it happened the year before when DS1 was sitting it then I really would have been fighting a losing battle trying to get him interested in a Grammar.

Had our parents evening this week and it was a hat trick of :D . Don't think we have ever got away with such a glowing report on DS2. Usually he talks too much and is dissorganised but no, not this year he has morphed into perfect child apparently :shock: /
Milla

Post by Milla »

well that's a nice high to hang onto, Tolstoy, for tomorrow!!!
See you there.... :shock: :shock:
Anyone else here going to be at Tommy's tomorrow?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Is DS2 up and running again?