Magic 216

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Post by Milla »

I did wonder that going by the number, in the same booklet, who put Pate's first. I mean Pate's make it insultingly clear these days if you ain't made the grade but it seems that some parents must think it's worth having a punt in case, miraculously, lots of places aren't taken up and they're stuck with feeling they have to take the rejects (no bitterness here at all! I was a good little girl, read the letter and put Tommy's first!)
alisonc

Post by alisonc »

Interesting replies people, thanks. Looks like Denmark was the more popular choice this time but may be because they've changed the scoring criteria to the same as Ribston. I'm not biased to Drd just because my daughter goes there(she had a good pass, but not a really high pass so still wasn't sure if would get a place), and looks like everyone who put Ribston 1st pref got a place. I think both schools are academically the same, it's down to the childs preference, as I think the atmposhere's are different.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

is that really true that the lowest entrant was actually 210? I'm just entrigued. Any have any answers?
A few of the schools have admissions along these lines

1. Children in Public Care who reach a standardized score of 210 when marks in the two tests are added together.
2. Other pupils who reach a standardized score of 210 when marks in the two tests are added together.
3. If the school is oversubscribed, priority will be given to pupils scoring higher in the assessment procedure.

Which could mean the lowest score is a bit misleading i.e. 210 is good enough to admit children in care but if oversubscribed the rest are admitted in rank order.

It's just a suggestion! :?
Milla

Post by Milla »

to be honest, I'm not sure how many, if any, are in care???
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

to be honest, I'm not sure how many, if any, are in care???
I'm sure you're right and it's the least probable reason. :oops:
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Thanks for all of the replies to this, although many are far to complex for my simple brain.
I'm thinking that the best way ahead is to hope that everyone sitting has a duff day to bring the standard down and perhaps to be extra sure get DS put in care??
Might be safest for him anyway with his mother on the verge of a breakdown :x
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think Gloucestermum is right as if DS2 doesn't get enough for Tommy's we will still put it as first preference because we do intend to appeal. If it is the school you want putting it first won't affect your chances of getting a place at the school you put second, third or even fourth.

We intend to appeal because we have academic evidence that will support his ability and as his brother is at the school it is better from a family prospective. He should pass the test but lets face it who knows what can go wrong once they are in the room. So we will give it a shot. If it doesn't pan out he will still get either his second or third preference anyway.

I should imagine that the numbers wanting Denmark and Tommy's is more than Ribston and Crypt partly because of proximity to Cheltenham. It only has the one Grammar plus because of its status people will go there from Gloucester rather than going local. All DS1's new friends come from Cheltenham and surrounding villages.

The care bit is interesting because the opt in system really penalises them.

I think Ruby we just have to sit and wait for that all important result, urgghg thankfully it doesn't seem to worry the DC as much as it does us :) .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now