ONE WEEK TO GO!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EmeraldE

ONE WEEK TO GO!!

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi all
I thought I would start a post so we could express our calmess with one week left before the big day.

I am thinking, "ohh maybe one more paper, perhaps some short ones all next week, he might get out of practice." (Errrrr, as if!) *****jibber jibber wittle and worry******

He is thinking, "awww, thanks mum for not giving me any more VR. I will never ever have to do it again after next Saturday" *******happy smiley face and off to play on the PC in his PJ's all day no doubt******

I asked him was he worried/nervous

"No, why would I be? Maybe a little but I have done all the work"

ALL THE WORK!? I am sure I could find more if required :lol:

Perhaps I should take my lead from him? :P
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

My son is just doing his final practice paper now (Sunday morning). I have told him that we won't be doing any more after this.

I think I will focus more on tactics now - for example reading the question carefully.

Has anybody else got any suggestions of what would be useful to do/not to do with the children in this last week?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ditto my son. We followed the exact schedule Tommy's has sent us re practice, break and two papers and its all finished thankgoodness.

Will just be doing some dailies I have fiddled with and feeding him lots of fish :lol:

He is starting to feel the nerves now and was atually asking for papers last night after wanting to and doing very little over half term.

On a lighter note when we walked into a clothes shop last week he did comment that they were being rude about children, laughingly pointing at the sign

'CHILDRENSWEAR'

Roll on next Sunday. Mind you then the real panic will start urgghh.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi Ciren mum, I have two DC at Pates, one almost ready to move on and a daughter in year 8.

I would say that now is the time to outwardly chill, inwardly of course you will be feeling like cramming any last minute VR into his swollen brain, but please try to lay off !
In the last week with my DC I tried not to talk about it too much, beyond "what snack would you like to take"(she chose strawberries) and

I also bought them both a little talisman to take in with them, my DD still treasures hers, ( a little furry cat!) I told them that I was with them through the talisman,to give them support and comfort.I also impressed upon them both that the outcome would be, what it would be, and that we were proud of them just for giving it a try.

I also made sure that THEY chose their own comfy clothes,and that these were discretely ready for THE morning.
Be prepared for your own rush of feelings as you drop them off on the morning, I was completely distraught, and felt that I had been helping them towards this moment in their lives and now I was throwing them to the lions!
I took a flask,a good book and sat outside the whole morning as I felt nearer to them, (It may seem stupid to some) but I just didn't want to go anywhere else!

Good luck to you all, I hope it goes well for all your little ones .

Proud mum x2
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

We are going to stay near to the school during the exam, just as you did.

What does anybody think about whether they should take a watch with them or not. My son is not used to wearing one.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Mine didn't have a watch. They are given time reminders so don't need one. If your son isn't used to it then it could serve as a distraction.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

I agree with Tolstoy, a watch isn't really needed, there is a clock in every room and reminders are given.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I agree, too; my little one is vaguely obsessive if the mood takes him and if I think he's flapping, and swivelling it round his wrist, and trying to line it up with the clock on the wall, or or or, then I, too, will flap like a crazy thing. And we can't have that.
As for what to do during the time. Last time I went home as near enough, this time won't be worth it. So, it's walking the mutt round the block, chatting with DS1 until his away game rugby coach turns up (at same school) and then ... possibly coffee and a little light hysteria with EE!!!???!
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hee hee Milla
I was contemplating mass hysteria so pungent it would make a yak's eyes bleed from 4000 meters.

Perhaps you will be the voice of reason and calm???

Failing that we might have to go for a combo of tantric relaxation and yogurt weaving to focus our minds on more important matters.

What am I saying??? There is NO MORE IMPORTANT MATTER!! :lol:

Reality Control Rating : -40
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:mrgreen: Giggle. That was so funny Milla and EmeraldE!!

Wishing you and yours the very best on THE day x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now