Second verbal Reasoning Paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ruby Tuesday

Second verbal Reasoning Paper

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Does anyone know just how difficult the second Verbal Reasoning paper is in Gloucestershire and are there any tips at all on how to deal with it?
I dont want to scare DS but feel he sees permanent fear in my eyes at the moment.
Also wondering if anyone has an idea of numbers sitting for the boys grammars?
Milla

Post by Milla »

come on down to the Gloucestershire forum, Ruby! (scroll down to the various local info forums lower down the page)

Our letter said that 260 are sitting at Tommy's. But, despite a plea for more info, I've not heard of any other numbers from the other schools.

Paper 2 is meant to be harder, but this is presumed to be because it isn't necessarily asking tutored questions. Those who haven't been tutored massively apparently don't necessarily find it harder. Quite why our dear children can't fill in the gaps and explain the difference from what they were expecting, I don't know!
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

Does this mean it can be types of questions that they haven't come across with practise papers or just harder versions of?
A bit late in the day to try and find out I know but desperation can do that to a person!
Milla

Post by Milla »

as I say, I don't know!! Maybe a moderator could move this one to Gloucestershire, in case anyone can help.

My older boy did it 2 years ago and he just said it was "harder". In those days you had to pass both papers to be eligible (which he did, luckily) but this has now changed, and an overall score of 210 is needed.

The whole thing is shrouded in mystery meaning that at least everyone is in the same boat. At this stage there's little we can do and, you know, I've finally reached, I think, that longed-for place where I am now quite calm (it won't last :roll: ) and accepting the fact that it's in the lap of the gods. There's no magic wand any of us can wave, no fantasy stirrups to give them an individual leg up. Sadly :wink: .

Still if this does get moved to Glos, maybe some more old hands might join in??

Where is your boy taking the test, RT??

Ommmmm.
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

He is sitting at Marling our closest.
Very impressed that you have reached a state of calm. You must surely be typing from the Priory?
Milla

Post by Milla »

I was lying.
It's all slipping away again.
Did Marling give any idea in their letter of the number of children sitting there??
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

No nothing.
Dare not look in the enevelope again for fear that the little sticker with his name on will flutter away along with all hope.
It does say though that he should take 2 HB Pencils. What if I send him with a 2B by mistake....will he fail? and shouldn't he also have a sharpener or would that breach health and safety guidelines?
Milla

Post by Milla »

ours are being provided, luckily. One thing fewer to forget. My boy will drop his on the floor IMMEDIATELY, so it will break, and continue to break and, when he's not maundering along the corridors in casual search of the loo, he'll be grubbing around on the floor looking for bits of pencil or not realising he can put his hand up and ask for a new one. Oh No. See, told you Ommmm-ness had fled.
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Hello Ruby.
We (we! If only we could be there too!!!!) are also taking the test at Marling.
I don't think you missed any bits of paper with info as to how many boys were taking it as I haven't seen that information anywhere.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Ruby Tuesday wrote:Does this mean it can be types of questions that they haven't come across with practise papers or just harder versions of?
Different question types. What's more, it's different each year, so you can't ask last years children!

They're not harder than the types they already know, so no need for them to panic.

Some (quite a few) children actually enjoy the questions - they're a puzzle, a challenge, and mentally stimulating. It's the parents who worry.

I have to wait another year for DD2 to take the test, DD1 being at Stroud High.
Capers