Stroud High closed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capers123

Stroud High closed

Post by capers123 »

Not permanently closed, but all pupils were sent home today after an emergency assemble, and will stay off for Monday & Tuesday.

This is dues to structural problems with the 'new block' - a two level section of 14 classrooms behind the old school building. The problems were investigated in half term, but now need further investigations and the school were advised that pupils should not use them.

The girls had to empty their lockers - most are located in the New Block corridor.

Hey - at least DD's PE Kit has had to come home - we might even wash it.

Now, how will they suddenly find 14 extra classrooms? Hmmm.

Disruptive for many parents, but the school has done the right thing to look after the safety of pupils & staff.
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Luckily it wasn't last weekend. What about the late sitters ?
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

Great to read about someone with a DD - are there any other DDs out there? Stroud High was the school I liked best when I visited in June. The girls seemed so confident and happy, and I love being in Stroud. It seems pretty tough to get into, and even if my DD passes I can't figure out how I'd get her there with DD2 to get to school. When I asked the school they said virtually nobody comes from Cheltenham; so no transport and no chance of local-ish friends.

I didn't like Ribston as DD is not big into dance or drama and think if she passes for Ribston we'll put Bournside comp first, as it is not such a journey and the Head gave a very impressive talk.

Anybody have any views or experiences on girls' schools?

Weird to think our teachers know the results before us!
hermanmunster

Re: Stroud High closed

Post by hermanmunster »

capers123 wrote:Not permanently closed, but all pupils were sent home today after an emergency assemble, and will stay off for Monday & Tuesday.

This is dues to structural problems with the 'new block' - a two level section of 14 classrooms behind the old school building. The problems were investigated in half term, but now need further investigations and the school were advised that pupils should not use them.

The girls had to empty their lockers - most are located in the New Block corridor.

Hey - at least DD's PE Kit has had to come home - we might even wash it.

Now, how will they suddenly find 14 extra classrooms? Hmmm.

Disruptive for many parents, but the school has done the right thing to look after the safety of pupils & staff.
Golly Capers! Finding 14 extra classrooms is not easy.. sounds like lots of portakabins or a bunch of village halls.. Hope all sorts out soon!
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Luckily Marlilng is right next door - I'm sure they can fit at least a few extra classes in there. When we looked round with DS3 back in September there seemed to be quite a few rooms not in use.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Thirdtimer wrote:Luckily Marlilng is right next door - I'm sure they can fit at least a few extra classes in there. When we looked round with DS3 back in September there seemed to be quite a few rooms not in use.
I've never been round Marling, for various reasons (and not only having daughters).

There are not that many spare rooms at Stroud High, as the spare portacabins were all removed once the new block was finished. I'm certainly glad that I'm not part of the school management - absolute nightmare for them, I guess.

However, there is another possibility - Bownham Park school near The Bear at Rodborough. It's a former special needs establishment, closed a few years ago. Social Services still have offices on the site, and I think the school is in 'Care & Maintenance', so might, at a push, be made to accommodate the juniors. Obvious logistical problems such as transport for pupils, staff and it would need a complete timetable reshuffle to make sure staff were in the right place at the right time.
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Perplexed 2009 wrote:Great to read about someone with a DD - are there any other DDs out there? Stroud High was the school I liked best when I visited in June.
Stroud High is certainly a happy school (from my daughters opinion) and settling in Y7's is done very well. I'm fairly sure that others from Cheltenham go to SHS (and Denmark Rd), in the same way that children from Stroud go to Pates. If your DD passes, it's worth having a word with the school to see if they can put you in touch with other parents from the area for lift-sharing.

Good luck.
Capers
alisonc

Post by alisonc »

Perplexed 2009, my daughter started Denmark Rd this time. We live in the Forest of Dean so didn't consider Pates or Stroud due to the distance. My daughter chose Denmark over Ribston. She's really happy there. My other daughter goes to local comp.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

alisonc wrote:My daughter chose Denmark over Ribston. She's really happy there. My other daughter goes to local comp.
Which sums it up, really. Different schools suit different children, even from the same family :)
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

Bennetts run lots of different routes to DRd/Tommy's so may well for SHS, too. We tried to get them to do one through our villages here as there would be plenty of demand, but they wouldn't :cry: although they do cover a lot of runs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now