over confident child?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My DS had his last year blighted because of it. Once I knew he was going to a different school it just couldn't come fast enough. The plus though was whilst others were talking of their children being nervous about moving on mine jumped on that bus with no second thoughts.

Unfortunately straight out of the frying pan and into the fire it seems. One of the problems is that you start to question their perception and it may well be that my DS has taken on a defensive stance that in itself created a problem.

Although it seems to have been sorted out now I regret not being more proactive both times.

So keep up the support and your DS's stance will stand him in good stead, certainly had that affect with my sister, though it shouldn't have to be that way.
Amber

Bullying

Post by Amber »

I am one of those who I think you refer to as 'lurkers' here as I have been reading posts recently but had no intention of ever contributing - my son has just taken GS test. I am only replying because of Milla's posts about bullying, to advise you to contact the charity Kidscape. We have had experience of bullying with both daughter and son, and they are totally brilliant - a very small charity with few staff, but the ones they have are totally dedicated and very well qualified. Do please search them out, for your son's sake. This is so much more important than whether he has got through Gloucestershire's GS hoops. Best wishes.
Milla

Post by Milla »

thank you, Amber, that is really kind of you to "expose" yourself. I'm hoping that things are OK now with your children - and wish you and your son luck in your results. Any chance you'll let us know how you get on??
(mentions of lurkers are only because we want more people to come and play).
Many thanks again.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Certain children will always be targets for bullies: those that are perceived by their peers to be 'different' in any way - eg ugly, good-looking, clever, not clever, tall, small, scruffy, smart. What makes the difference to surviving or not is how the child reacts - body language and certain techniques, which can be taught, can all help a child. This is why I recommend Kidscape so highly - and yes, thank you, my children are generally OK now, apart from the odd wobble, which I suppose all children have to face. In terms of letting you know how we get on - don't know. I suppose that depends on how we DO get on! I am probably not a typical GS parent (is there such a thing?) and also probably have unconventional views, so maybe I am best crawling back under my rock and 'lurking'!

Good luck in tackling the bullies - this is very important for your child's self esteem; as I said before, moreso than which school he ends up going to.
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Milla

Hats off to you! You've kept me (& I expect many, many more) really entertained with your posts & which never gave even the slightest hint that you might have this turmoil going on in your life (or rather in your son's life but then it becomes your life, too, doesn't it?) I read some of your descriptions open mouthed - that this has been going on, and on and on. Poor, poor boy.

I feel like a total wimp and coward compared to your 10 year old - I'm sure I'd have taken the chance to move, if I'd been in his shoes, but he's refused to be driven out. Well good on him! My current obsessions suddenly seem so much less important. Perspective, and at all that.

You both deserve a new, good start. Really, REALLY hope he gets the result he needs,

BB248
Milla

Post by Milla »

the kindness shown by so many of you here, and in PMs, has really overwhelmed me. Thank you.

There are clearly a lot of grotty small people out there allowed to run riot and trample on the hopes of others, controlling with a junta-style hierarchy, spreading callous fear and presuming to impose their superiority on the more uncertain. They create a landslide where the norm experienced by their victims warps and reduces while these petty lords with their rabble hold sway and power beyond their deserving. I don't expect them to be friends with my boy. I just want them to leave him alone. It's getting better, it ebbs and flows, but it never really goes away.

Aagin, my apologies to ciren mum for having ended up hijacking - maybe a mod could split it off as I really did first come onto agree with her. DS2 had been unnervingly confident and I had chosen to fret about it and then I found myself splurging, the result of half an hour with the very helpful HT (I didn't cry, but boy did my jaw wobble a bit) and my system was still awash with the emotions.

Sent myself to sleep with unseemly cruel dreams involving King Oik colliding with what is referred to in Babar as "a terrible misfortune." I shall rot in h***. Guess I'll be banged up smack bang next to the Oik to serve me right for nasty thoughts.

Then I heard today about a little boy at school who has been diagnosed with a terrible disorder where his limbs can't respond properly to the signals given by his brain and I felt a total heel. There's always someone out there having it worse than you, and I feel guilty for wallowing in my rage. My boy will leave most of this lot behind but this poor scrap has a condition which will only worsen and my flinty little heart goes out to him.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now