gender split Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

I have two children at Pates. My boy is in Y13 and has enjoyed every day he's spent there, he has made lots of good friends, faced challenges and grown up during his time at Pates. He has been very involved in the sport,and is a member of the CCF (combined cadet force)
Unsurprisingly,he doesn't want to leave, and goes in often when he isn't required!
My DD is in year 8 and is loving everything about it also. She never wants to be at home, even when she is ill, she is reluctant to give in! The fact that they are so keen to go, shows me that they are happy, and that means the world to me.The learning will naturally follow.

We have never heard of any instances of bullying,the children all seem to want to achieve and celebrate their own and their peers' successes

It is a school with fantastic facilities and never ending opportunities, from sport to drama and music, to public speaking and politics.
I can only say what I know, you have to make those tough decisions, If you don't accept the place your DC has been offered, rest assured they will have no difficulty filling it!

Ant more question feel free to PM me
proud mum x2
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

Thanks Proudmum*2.

Cirenmum - we'll be there on the 26th for the open morning.
Pushkin
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

I will send you a PM Pushkin
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi folks

Can I join in??
DS1 has got top 120 for Pates and I am in two minds what to do. Issues thusly:

1. Tommies is just across the road (think this is the reason he wants to go there!)

2. I am a bit worried about transport from Longlevens area to Pates. Where does the bus drop them off? Anyone shed any light?

3. Would it be more pressured at Pates or would Tommies be more supportive should DS fall behind?

4. Am I being seduced by the 'OH MY!! PATES" factor?

5. Should I let DS decide on his own? Is this a decision for an 11 year old to be making when he does not know what I know?

6. Should I be considering DS2 (sitting next year) in the equation? Not sure he is Pates material but could make Tommies. Is it better to have them at the same school, or would that be mean to DS1 and be holding him back?

7. Is there really that much difference in the education?

What a happy dilemna!!!!!!! But one none the less. Any thoughts? Or am I a wittler and worrier for no earthy reason? :)
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

I would go and look at Pates again and then both of you decide.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Thanks Glosmum!!
That was helpful
Unfortunately I cannot make the two dates they have open for people to come see again. (We have Ofsted in our work and it is a total no no to have time off for any reason)

Would the school be ok about us coming on another day?
I feel like I am being a right pain!!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

I have been a bit nerdy about the Glos Grammar Schools and know that whilst the gender spilt is obvious at STR! - at Pate's overall the male female ratio is 50 / 50 but up and down a bit each year.

Both schools seem really good. Pate's is more focused on the pastoral side but both are pretty sporty.

STR has more clarity about rules and strictness which can suit some (boys esp) wheras Pates seems more about just getting along with each other- a bit more relaxed.

Go and see and ask things like how they look after students who might struggle, how they deal with pastoral care etc etc

Each is slightly different.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now