How many passes altogether?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tiggymum

Post by Tiggymum »

Don't worry I have nerves of steel - its my DD I am not sure will hold out !!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

the trouble is that although, on paper, it sounds great to have some idea of numbers so that your CAF can be filled in intelligently, in practice it's not quite working out. The trouble is the duplication. Like was mentioned, if your child gets Pate's, then s/he is also getting Marling/Stroud and DRd/Tommies and Ribston/Crypt (bracketted together sort of geographically). So the lucky few hold all the cards, but can only use one and a lot of people who WILL be lucky come March 1st don't know that now and just have an extra layer of stress - passed, but is it good enough?? Like Glparent, we got Marling but I only put it down for info (no offence Marling, just far too far!). But under an uncertain system no-one is going to be selfless and only put the one GS they are int'd in because they dare not count themselves out of other options. I can't, however, offer an alternative.

This does, at least, put some out of their misery rather than make them wait til March.

It does, at least, allow good comps not to be jeopardised by chancing at a GS which might not materialise.

Last time round we didn't get Pate's, but did get a fine pass (for Tommy's) - only we didn't know it at the time. So while I consider ourselves supremely fortunate to "know" this time, I am so with you guys in fret-land. Just take comfort from the fact that so many passers DO get in come the day!!
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

We got in top 120 for Marling, good passes for STR and Crypt so assuming in top 120 but they not stated as much and 126 for Pates so will be listing Pates first and Marling second that releases at least 2 places.
quacks

Post by quacks »

I'm afraid we are one that is holding 3 pass scores and one fail.
Our choice is now what to put second Ribston Hall or Stroud.

Frustrating as not sure whether 223 enough for Denmark Road which is our first choice.

In a way a wish we didn't have to wait till the first of March the grammar schools set could just do one allocation with the one exam too much to ask I suppose.
cairo

Post by cairo »

So the only figures I'm missing are the number of passes at Crypt and Stroud High. Anyone know, so I can do the headcount?
Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday »

The lady at the Crypt will only say that it is in excess of 200. I would imagine its safe to assume that it's around the 225 mark like Marling. She couldn't or wouldn't be more specific.
limbo

Post by limbo »

A friend at school has passmark for Stroud 216 and in rank 231.

My daughter has done brilliantly with 3 good passes but no 120 place - it has really taken the shine off it for her.
cairo

Post by cairo »

So if we assume that Crypt sent out 240 letters ("more than 200"), that would make 1617 letters sent in total, for the 810 grammar school places.

That doesn't sound too bad to me. Lots of people will have got more than one letter - some lucky ones will have got four - and some people will drop out of the running for various reasons. I reckon most of the children will get a place. (Let's keep thinking positive thoughts everybody!)
Tiggymum

Post by Tiggymum »

So I am not being ambitious then for SHS or Ribston!!!
cairo

Post by cairo »

Hope not - fingers crossed!