Id anyone not taking up their place at Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slackmum

Id anyone not taking up their place at Pates

Post by slackmum »

Didn't think we had a realistic chance at Pates but DS surprised all of us (even though ill) and got a rank of 126 just wondered for all of us at the borderline rank if any of you have decided against Pates hence opening up the places for others.
Perplexed 2009

Post by Perplexed 2009 »

I know of a friend of my daughter who "took the test for fun"!!! She has for 2 years been working so hard for full scolarship for Ladies' and money i don't think is issue. She has Pates 120 and is 99% certain she won't be taking Pates place.

How many are there like her? I've heard some parents use Pates place to beg private schools for very reduced fees eg. St Edwards. St Edwards are meant to be very keen to have "Pates" as it raises their standards etc.

People the other side (far south) of Stroud may not travel past Stroud grammars to get to Pates.

Good Luck.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

I would bet your child will get in - if he doesn't I will send you a bottle of champers if she does you send me one(no cheap stuff though!)
langkawilucy

Post by langkawilucy »

I know someone fromour school who has got in and more than likely will not be taking her place up in top 120. There you go, moving up again! I am sure you will get in.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'll join you on the champers bet. My birthday is March 2nd and quite fancy a dead cert bottle for then. - see, I'm upping the stakes, that you would get it at allocation not just after the acceptance kerfuffle.
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

I also agree that, based on teh past, you will totally definitely get a place ranked in teh top 130 (or even 140).

Ask the Head - but ask 1 - 1 rather than in public as I think you get better 'off teh record' answers that way

By the way, every year there are loads of people who 'turn down Pate's' - apparently even though they only pass 160 rather than the 250+ of STR etc. However, I wonder fif they all really do 'turn Pate's down' or whether they really were top 120 in tthe first place! SOme clearly turn a place down for all sorts of reasons but .......
Amber

Post by Amber »

As I have said before, they went below the 160 to fill the places last year. And yes, people really DO turn it down! Fact.
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

I do not know where you get the idea that they went below 160 from - that is certainly not what I was told. You say it is fact - where from - I would suggest someone asks on teh school visits?

In fact, I am pretty clear that they are not allowed to offer places below the qualifying group - only an appeal panel can do that.

Of course people turn Pate's down - for a whole range of reasosn - in fact I thik some are in the letter we received when results came out - staying in private sector, living too far away, wanting single sex, prefering a different school etc etc It is an excellent school but there are other great schools as well - many in Gloucestershire - we are very lucky!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Can't disclose source for that (though it is solid), but can tell you that number 159 on the list is personally known to me and is in there now!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Just decided to remove this in case I upset anyone else!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now