preference list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

daisydoo

preference list

Post by daisydoo »

Can I put RH on DD's preference list if scored 205 and wanted to appeal on medical grounds?

Do I have to tell school asap?
when would I appeal and is there a standard form??
please help as have been on appeals section and they said I need local expertise :?
capers123

Re: preference list

Post by capers123 »

daisydoo wrote:Can I put RH on DD's preference list if scored 205 and wanted to appeal on medical grounds?

Do I have to tell school asap?
when would I appeal and is there a standard form??
please help as have been on appeals section and they said I need local expertise :?
Firstly, don't panic - you have plenty of time.

Yes, you can put it as first choice, and as you realise, you won't get offered it. You will be offered the highest choice for which you do qualify (and which has space).

You don't need to tell the school anything if your daughter didn't pass.

The waiting list for those who did pass will start after allocation day (March?), and those who passed should tell the schools at that point that they want be on the waiting list. This is also the time to start an appeal, again by asking the school for the forms.

There will be a standard form for the two grammars administered by Shire Hall, and separate ones for the other grammars.

However, now is the time to start gathering any medical evidence, along with any other evidence that may be forgotten about by March.

I can't give any individual help, but you'll find lots of advice both here & on Appeals. Have a look at the FAQ link at the top of the appeals page - very useful.

Good luck.
Capers
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

thanks capers,

My dd got 4b's in reading and writing (yr5) but a 3a for maths. Her CAT score was 114 which is above avg on percentile but not top 10%. (The average CAT score for this years y7 at RH is 112)

After reading Q and A's my DD's academic evidence (without glasses) doesn't look enough. Now that she has glasses she may come on in leaps and bounds?

If this case looks unlikely to be successful an I better off putting top comprehensive first (because I worry about oversubscription, we are in catchment but over 2miles away geographically) or should I put GS first?

If I then get third choice and want to appeal to both will comprehensive refuse me if I don't put them as first choice?

sorry for so many questions - need to get form completed by next week and very confused :?
Amber

Post by Amber »

It doesn't matter whether you put RH first and then the good comprehensive second - your second choice becomes your first preference if you don't get the first, ie it becomes the first effective preference. As your daughter did not qualify for RH you will not be offered a place and your second choice school becomes the first choice. This school will not know you put them second.

The only reason you would do this is if you want to appeal for RH. It won't make any difference to the outcome of the appeal, though as someone else said earlier, the appeals committee might wonder why you didn't put it on the form.

If you have a good comprehensive, why not take it? A lot of the comps in Gloucestershire are really excellent; look at the place where your daughter will be happy. We are in a similar position to you - my son qualified for grammar but not the one we wanted. He is actually really happy now that he will be so close to home and won't spend a lot of time travelling; he is also looking forward to a mixed school. If there are positives like this, then maybe it is worth helping your daughter to see them. I am not saying don't appeal, that is your decision and I am still not 100% sure we will not, but it is easy to get caught up in negative emotions after a less than brilliant result, and to fail to see the possible advantages of other options. I know, because we are just coming out of a series of very difficult emotions. I wish you and your daughter luck, whatever you decide. She has a loving and supportive mother and that is worth 10 grammar places!
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

Thanks Amber, you really understand how I'm feeling. I know the comp will be excellent for her personality, I just wonder 'what if' with the GS. I have to decide whether to live with the 'what if' and accept that she will do well at comp?

It's great that your DS passed and a shame the commute would be too long. Like you said travel and mixing are important to consider and its hard to be objective at this time when emotions are high. Thanks again for helping me feel 'normal' is this very strange process :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have sent you a pm daisydoo.
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

thanks Amber not sure how to access as not had pm before?
Amber

Post by Amber »

At the bottom of this page is a link with a little icon next to it - says something like 'log in to view personal messages'. I also get email notification if someone has pmed me - and if you click on the link in the email it will take you to the login screen. If you are already logged in you can just click the 'view personal messages' icon and go straight to your inbox.
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

Hi Amber, I wonder if it takes a while for a pm to arrive? as it says it is empty - I'll keep checking :)
Amber

missing - one private message (no reward offered)

Post by Amber »

Hmmm...it has also not appeared in my sentbox. OK, it disappeared into the ether then. I will try and re-do it but have to go out now. Has anybody found a missing message full of nice words for Daisydoo? If so, please return to her!