Feeling insecure negative comments

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Another one dropping in from another county... Hello!
The teachers I work alongside were highly critical of any form of selective/independent education. Extremely rude about it, or snubbed me completely each time the conversation turned to my son's eucation - never by me (I didn't dare!!) I've not even mentioned it this time.

I, too, ended up putting myself down rather than sounding like I was criticising their choices.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

I have that attitude from some of the teachers at DS's school. Some were supportive (if done in a secretive way, you know...whispered in the corridor, 'don't say I said it but..' etc.) Also told that the head did not support any grammar appeals. I had the impression that many of the teachers had actually come from the grammar system themselves but were to 'tow the party line' when dealing with parents.

I actually find this much more deterimental in terms of potential issues (appeals etc.) than I do mums/dads at the school gate. AFter all you can pick new friends/ignore those you would rather not associate with, but you cannot get the head to support you if they point blank refuse.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

I would just ignore them as luckily we a re in a democracy and still have choice, I even had a 'debate' with a teacher a few years ago who didn't believe in selection, yet I hear that her child sat the test this time around so just another hypocrite.

Also the argument about staying local will that apply to university and job seeking, better to widen your horizons from a young age.

I have children at Pates and Gloucester grammar , never seem to do much homework and have plenty of extra curricular activites so the hot house comments are a BIG myth
One Down

Post by One Down »

And it's not just the parents! Tonight, my DD! (Yr 9, GS) met up with a friend (Yr 9, quite well regarded church comp.) The friend told my DD that she 'was really glad she didn't go to a grammar school'.

I'm pleased that my DD didn't make the obvious retort about 11+ marks but instead asked 'Why?We have lots of fun, get good marks and there are few disruptive people in the lessons.' Friend replied 'Well, we get good marks too but the disruptions are what makes lessons any fun'! :shock:

I just pointed out to DD that anyone who starts a conversation as rudely as that must feel a bit insecure about the subject under discussion. DD doesn't care as she knows she's in the right school for her.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now