Pates Spring Fair

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

Post by Milla »

slackmum wrote:I very much doubt another will wear its duplicate.
Blimey, I hope not, it sounds well scary!
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

No offence embarressment is my aim, my mother did it constantly and now it is my turn. I distinctly remember her turning up to a school play in the 1970s wearing a flared cat suit with huge purple and pink walruses on it and numerous strings of neon coloured necklaces when all my friend's parents were wearing twin sets and pearls!!

What are you wearing or shall I leave the approach to others on the basis that my attire is unique and in glorious bad taste or as Milla so distinctly put it 'scarey'. Just a shame that the bottom is so restricted as only one pair of trousers fits over the bandages.

I was sure you were a man glparent so sorry.
mad?

curse of the dancing baby

Post by mad? »

I hope you all have a lovely time.
I have no idea why I have looked at this thread, living hundreds of miles away and not being a fan of fetes etc. However, I really wish I hadn't...
Last night I left the lap top open on this thread with the dancing baby arranging to meet people. I forgot, DH came home, opened it up and said 'hey what's with the dancing baby? Are you on a dating site?' :oops: :oops:
I am still trying to work out what was worse, what he thought or the truth, 'oh no that's just Milla and she is going to meet some people at the fair blah blah blah' :oops: :oops:
I had always thought the worst thing about this forum would be DH finding out how much time I spent on here but actually it was worse trying to explain what I was doing with out sounding like a total loon.
mad?
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

Great to meet up with everyone today.

The actual fair was a bit of an anticlimax (did not win anything) until I discovered the book stall and ended up with two bin bags full. I did get a discount for buying in bulk though.
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

any impressions of the school from fair? anything too stuffy, high pressured and forgetting childhood etc ?

Was it all glitx and stage managed in a 'hot house' sort of way?

I love primary school fairs - not just the loadsa bargains!
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hee hee, I think that the fair was very much like every other one! No hot-housing, talk of results (apart from us discussing the machinations of the entrance test), feeling the strain etc. My DS and his little chum had a great time. Too many sweets and lots of prizes.

It was good to put some real names and faces to our selection of weird and wonderful monikers (not looking at you or anything Slackmum :lol: )
I think it just confirmed for me that my DS was in the right environment. It was great for him to have another familiarisation before the big start in Sept. He could probably even find his own way to the loo now!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi everyone, I've been lurking and reading your very entertaining posts!
I would normally be at the Spring fair, but my DD is away on a PLG netball tour this w/end in Torquay.Not quite the same without them there!

It was so tempting to come and watch you lot all linking up!
I hope your DC settle in well, the school are expert in this,and that you really enjoy, along with them, all this great school has to offer.

best wishes, proud mum x2
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh I wish you had come, Proudmum!!
Yes, it was great to meet up - some heavy cheating going on at the tombola methinks with some people sussing you could see the numbers through the folded paper. Far too craven to do it myself sadly, though still envious of some of the tables laden with goodies.
Nothing at all hot-housey, Gloucsdad. I reckon what you're saved at the old GSs is the time wasting chivvying recalcitrant behaviour. But we're not there yet so maybe I'll hold fire on any "helpful" comments such as that. Surprised not to see Mr F there. Mr K tips up to the STRS ones, in a christmas pullie, and I think that that's a good sign. Maybe he was there, just avoiding eager gaggles of people in strange nappy-led clothes!
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Good to put names to faces/t-shirts too! Was hoping more DDs had showed up ....... beginning to think the year maybe boy-heavy again (which probably won't bother DD at all!)

In his defence, Mr F was indeed there with his own DC - although I think you might be right about avoidance, Milla! :lol:

Looking forward to other chances to meet up before September!
Milla

Post by Milla »

oops, my bad, as the Americans have it. Just please don't tell me a Christmas pullie was in evidence.
We can ask the Admissions Officer about gender split, non? Although, from us lot it may be one girl to 5 boys, that's not nec indicative of the whole picture. Hope not!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now